Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would 12bolt/dana 44 hold up to 35's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by codyoffroad, Oct 21, 2002.

1. codyoffroad

codyoffroad Registered Member

Would 12bolt/dana 44 hold up to 35\'s

I am woundering if my 12bolt and d44 woultd hold up to 35? I would upgrade but I would like to have more ground clearence then a 14bff!! And would like to have 15" rims! and no a high schooler cant afford custom dana 60s!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="green"> </font color>

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Re: Would 12bolt/dana 44 hold up to 35\'s

They'll probably hold up ok as long as you dont wheel it too hard.

3. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

SURE!! I wouldn't think i'd be a problem /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ive got 36's on mine, no problems yet!

5. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I ran that combo for a long time with no problems. The 12 bolt finally took a sh!t but it had nothing to do with the tire size. Instead of fixing the 12b I went with a 14ff. I'd run it till you tear something up then upgrade it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i got 35's and 10 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif but upgrading soon, but for now and all my street driving and some offroading (pm me for videos) they work fine so far

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The big question is; what gears are in your stock axles ??? It not just a issue of how strong the 12 bolt / Dana 44 is. Gears like 308's with 35" tires will be a real pooch to drive, and more then likely burn up your automadic transmission (If you have an automadic transmission). Ground clearence with a 14 bolt FF really isn't that big of a issue in my honest opinion. Consitter the more comman gears in the 14 bolt compaired to whats in the 12 bolters. I've found a used set of axles from a 78 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4. (14 bolt FF/Dana 44) They have 373 gears. I can buy them and put them in alot cheaper then I can have my current 1/2 ton axles (12 bolt/Dane 44) regeared. Remember, one mod will usely require others.

8. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Miles,

I have been running 1/2 ton gear now for about 5 years. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif When I was wheeling in the East, Telico, Beasley Knob, anything with any type of mud and wheel spin, I constantly broke front D44 axles. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have been in AZ rockcrawling for about 2 years on the same running gear and run 35 MRT's and locked front and rear, with 4:10 gears and now a doubler, w/ a 350 TPI that puts out some serious tourqe.

In the 2 years I have been here, I have yet to break any type of axle, either front or rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I am a rebel when it comes to 1 ton gear, I absolutely refuse to spend the $ on 1 ton running gear. Don't let anyone fool you, 1/2 ton gear works, but you have to know and feel the limits of your blazer /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif. If you have a heavy right foot, then you will have problems /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, if you know how to use the small right pedal wisely, you can do some pretty wild stuff without axle breakage. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you don't believe me, then ask anyone that has wheeled with me in AZ and ask them about the lines we take. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Good luck.

Rebel with 1/2 ton gear.

Rob

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifLets hear it for us 1/2 ton guys..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

yeah, a 1/2 ton should work well with 35's, assuming you have some 4.10's. I went heavy duty because it was cheaper than upgrading my current truck, and sometimes you just need some utterly tire-abusing horsepower (and the axles to stand up to it) to make it up some of the gnarley stuff.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How about some 3/4 ton guys chiming in. I plan to go 3/4 ton becouse it's cheaper then regearing my 1/2 ton axles, and way cheaper then the Dana 60, the 3/4 ton axles already have gears close enough to what I want. Also, a Detroit Locker for a 14 bolt FF is only like $300.00. Don't know how much one would cost for a 12 bolt.

12. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Ok, im 3/4 ton. It's been great so far. If i wouldn't have broken the rear, i wouldn't have upgraded. But since the chance came along, why not go stronger. I have no need for a D60 front. I probably wont go bigger than 36's (famous last words). The 14 bolt is always in use, so its nice to know its stronger. Sure the D44 up front isn't any stonger than the old 10 bolt, but matching 4.11's are nice to have.

13. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3/4 ton gear may be the best path. You can get 4.10s and an indestructiable 14FF but you will have to go to 8 lug wheels on the downside. I ran 3/4 ton for a year but still was breaking axles on the D44 frint alot but I am pretrty hard on that stuff. I started with a pair of 10 bolts, upgrades to a 12 rear, then to a 14FF rear and D44 3/4 ton front cause it was alot cheaper for the loawer gears then gearing the existing 1/2 ton stuff, no just put a 60 up front and taking the rotors from the D44 front and doing rear disk brakes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I ran a 10 and 12 bolt,open with 3.73s and 35s for along time with no major breakage to speak of.I wheeled fairly hard with only a few broken axle u joints to show for it.

I only swapped out the 10 bolt for a 44 cuz the previous owner had bent the 10 bolt jumping and when it was time for a regear I rebuilt a 44 I had layin around.

And the only reason I swapped out the 12 bolt with a Detroit and Moser shafts for a 14 bolt with a Detroit was for piece of mind and the fact that it came in my body donor truck so I didnt have to go out and buy it.I never had any breakage with either of the 12 bolts I ran but the possibility of carnage was always in the back of my mind.With the 14 bolt with a Detroit if ya snap an axle,who cares.You will still be driving home /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have any second thoughts about what your half ton gear can take,take a look at robzillas and marv_springers webshots and old pics of the ORD Jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I run that combo. If you leave the front axle open you should keep the breakage down. 35-36 is about as big as you go though. The reason is as much brakes asn anything. The 1 ton running gear get you stopped better.
    I'm locked in the front and decided to upgrade to CTM's and Warn Aloy shafts to try to preven any breakage. To go 1 ton gear you can easily spend $2k by the time you pay the going rate for axle, new rims and other stuff. Yeah the CTMs and Warns set me back close to $900 but it was a 4 hour upgrade and lifetime parts. I don't plan on going bigger than 35's and my ground clearence is as good as my buds on 38's and 40's and 1 ton gear. So for me I feel it was the right combo to keep my truck as near bullit proof as I could get it without going 1 ton.
    As for RobZilla...hell that boy has broke axles sitting still winching me! hahahaha. It's only a matter of time before that doubler starts fragging u-joints for him /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would bet he snaps an axle in the next 2-3 rides he takes.
    Give Jack at www.ctmracing.com a call when that happens Rob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have been running my diesel powered 1/2ton with lockers fr/rr and 35" tires for 2 years. The only thing that is falling appart now is the front axle u joints and that's from the locker. I am quite easy on the right pedal and I use idle to go over huge obstacles. I might change my front to true-trac but otherwise I don't think I need to go bigger than 1/2ton for 35".

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Got some good feed back with this post, I'm in the middle right now on what I should do, I have a 12bolt rear and D44 up front, I'm looking for the 3/4 or 1 ton stuff at this time but also am looking at what the cost would be?
    I just picked up and diff cover and truss support for it from Mudzer to beef up the rear...and lookng at what I can do to the front to help it out...you guys seem to be add better axles to the D44 to beef them up, I would like to have a locker up there but don't want to bust it....anymore tips and info would help me out..... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I've run open 10's with 33's for a couple of years,but I'm gonna put in a 12 bolt. I am gonna run 35's also. I've only had one issue with the 10 bolt rear (broke a spider gear) that was it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If you want to upgrade but still keep the ground clearence and 6 lug wheels you could go with a 14SF.

20. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ground claerance isnt realy an issue if you shave you 14 bolt ff.Under the diffs Iv got 11" in the back and 11.5" clearance in the front.Only .5" difference and I didnt go nuts either.I took off as much as I could without gettin into the bolt holes.