Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would 2" Stainless Steel make good exhaust Pipe?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lazydog, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Would 2\" Stainless Steel make good exhaust Pipe?

We have some extra at work so I thought about adding a dual exhaust system to my truck using the stuff. To minimize bends I thought I would run the pipe to the mufflers and then turn them down in front of the axles instead of running up over. What do you all think?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Would 2\" Stainless Steel make good exhaust Pipe?

The entire exhaust system on my K5 is made out of high grade 2-inch stainless steel. The 316 tubing came from a hi-vac system at a semiconductor plant, so it's fully polished inside. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The stuff I got had plenty of mandrel bends welded into it, along with straight pieces that were 8 feet long. By cutting out the bends and then TIG welding them into place just right, a buddy of mine created a very sweet exhaust system that will last a zillion years or so. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The mufflers are Borla Hemi Mufflers made from 304 stainless. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I talked to the guys at Borla before buying the mufflers or doing any of the exhaust system. They actually recommended dual 2-inch pipes for a small block! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They said that the smaller pipes would make good bottom end torque while not restricting the top end flow.

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i dont know about the stainless, but im now redoing my exhaust to extend it out past the body. i had it in front of the axle, but it just covered everything in soot....just a thought. and in pa, the exhaust must exit past any living quarters...so on a blazer you'd be sol. just a thought
    RYan

4. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

Well, I suppose the 2 inch steel depends on your engine set up. I previously had dual 2 inch stainless on my K5. It was strong and sturdy but it didn't aid in performance at all. I recently switched to a "bulletproof" 3 in. stainless setup and noticed a HUGE difference. Instead of shifting into third gear at aprox. 69mph (obviously full throttle) it now shifts into 3rd at 77-78mph and gives me a lot better power band in second gear (not to mention it sounds a lot meaner). Just a thought. 3 inch may not be a great idea if your blazer is stock or if you have strict emissions standards where you are.

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

from my past experiance i would recomend 3" to the mufflers , 3" mufflers, 21/2"tails i definetly would not put turn downs in it there is alot of inside resonance and belive it or not stock and mostly stock engines need some back pressure if not you will get alot of popping when you decelerate plus i had i 350 in a car with turn downs and a 500cfm 2bbl and it ran better with tails the exhaust needs to match the intake in other words dont go radical with the exhaust if you are stock up top

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

For a stock engine..cool beans. For a mildly warmed over engine, 2 1/4". For a hot setup 2 1/2". 3" Duals is not reccomended for anything but all of the biggest setups. Like almost no vac at idle, rattle your brains, this thing couldn't do off-roading engine. More is not always better.

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yah most of the engine builders I've talked to say that 2" is good for most 350's unless your pushing insane HP or run high rpms all the time. One of my friends has dual 2" on a built 355 pushing around 330 HP and that thing is sick. It's basically glasspacks bolted to the headers and then 2" straight pipe out the back of the rig ('57 Willy's PU). It's on 38" SX's with 4.10's and welded diffs, and it'll smoke the tires off the rims from a standing start. (or pull a buried ford ranger out of a mud hole at idle with my friend walking along side of it steering /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) It'll be a little different since a K5 exhaust requires some bends near the back but it shouldn't be too bad.

I've got dual 2 1/4 with headers, H pipe, high flow cats, and flowmaster 50's on a mildly built 350 and it's not quite enough backpressure. Before I had the cats on it, it popped REAL bad coming down from anything over 3500 rpms, but now it only pops a little. I plan on building the engine in the near future though, so I went a bit big on the tube size since it's got cats on it. (gotta pass inspection) I really didn't feel like spending $700 building a custom exhaust system twice.

I'd say since you've got the tube for free, GO FOR IT!! You can't beat a free stainless exhaust system (well almost free /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

8. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

2" tubing sounds a bit small, but if you go dual it should be okay. I have an '89 Sub with a 383 and I run Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, 3" Y-pipe, high flow cat., single Flowmaster (big-block style/size) muffler, and 3" tailpipe. Since I live in CA I have to be concerned with the smog police, but I am very happy with my exhaust system. I don't know what your emissions laws are like in AZ, but you may want to consider that as part of your exhaust system build-up. Good luck!