Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would 37" tires be pushing it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Would 37\" tires be pushing it?

So with the looming upgrade of a 8lug 10b front and a 14bsf rear, Im considering upgrading to 37" tires.

I've run 35's on the stock setup and 3.73's gears and it wasnt too bad.

Do you think it would be too much stress on the front with a eaton posi and 37" tires?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: Would 37\" tires be pushing it?

Depends on how you drive it. I've been running 38's on a D44/12b (both ends gov locked). I run it pretty hard and haven't broken anything yet. I go against the grain. Almost everyone here will tell you you HAVE to have a D60 and 14BFF for anything bigger than 35's. I don't subscribe to that theory. I say it all depends on how you drive it and the type of wheeling you do.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I think you could do it, but you would have to be pretty light w/ the skinny. You would always have to carry an array of spare parts for the front though /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I have an 8 lug 44 w/ chromoly shafts and CTM ujoint/Ox ujoint. I still am a little nervous with 35's. Then again it's because I haven't broken anything yet /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I've got 36 Swampers on 6 lug 10 bolts front and rear. I take it easy off road,but I haven't had any problems yet (knocks on wood)

I'm in the works for new axles. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I ran 38.5s on a 10/14 SF for a while. Never broke the rear but trashed the front every other trip. Now I have a 60/ff.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

i've run 35's on my 10b without too much issues. im rather easy on the gas pedal, and since I dont do mud, wheel spin isnt much of an issue. But then again my 35's on alum wheels were just about as heavy as my 33's on steelies.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It would be pushin it if you want it to be semi-reliable. I have ran 35's on my dana 44 for over 2 years without out breaking anything. 37's would be pushing it, but could be done.

I was just thinking about some of the people running stock 10 or 12 bolt rears with 37" + tires, and my opinion would be if you broke a rear shaft while out wheelin with me I'd have to kick your a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Theres just no excuse for that. IMO thats like showing up to do some muddin with AT tires, might as well go back home and build your sh!t better /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no reason for that? lightweight? good ground clearance. If I were to run 35s or 37s I'd consider running a lighter axle combo. Replacing a shaft is worth it to some people.

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, a 10b and a 44 are pretty much the same strength... and I have absolutly ABUSED my old 44 w/ 38" TSL's and only broked 1 shaft... but it was an open diff.
    I would throw 37's on it, leave it open in the front, and call it a day. The SF14 should be fine w/ 37's.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    was just thinking about some of the people running stock 10 or 12 bolt rears with 37" + tires, and my opinion would be if you broke a rear shaft while out wheelin with me I'd have to kick your a$$ Theres just no excuse for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever man.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I have seen guys break their 1 ton stuff running only 36's whereas I went through w/ no issues. That is a completely dumbass comment. Also, not everyone has the $$ to build a rig that is, in your opinion, correct. BTW, if anyone tried to kick my ass because I had breakage on a trail..I'd put a wrench through his skull.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

wheel what ya got!!
    If you break, most of the parts are not to expensive plus you get to learn more about your rig taking it apart /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Exactly! You know how many D44/12b parts I can go through before it's even close to the cost of going 1 ton??? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Actually, I will be going 14BFF soon, but I have no plans for a D60 for at least another year. Also I carry spare shafts. If I break a u-joint/shaft (which I never have), I swap in another shaft a take off. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only reason I ever upgraded is because I was sick of working on it.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Exactly! You know how many D44/12b parts I can go through before it's even close to the cost of going 1 ton???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone that has gone 1 ton can tell you exactly how many times they redid the 1/2 ton crap before they wised up and went troublefree 1 ton.
    balljoints do not die as quickly
    brakes are better
    crossover is a few hundred less
    they retain their value

15. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yes 1 ton is the best option but not everyone can afford to go 1 ton so they have to work with what they got even if that means breaking a few axle shafts, they are not that hard to replace and are cheap to get. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well ok, I should rephrase that as you better have a spare shaft at least. One time on the trail with someone with a broken axle shaft and no spare is enough for me.

But the heart of this is I think you are expecting too much from stock axles running 37" + tires. Front is one thing, but a rear 10/12 bolt is a different breed...and I did say stock, if you have some upgrades shafts in the rear you're probably alright.

Wheel what you got, yeah thats a good saying, but it shouldn't be a liability to the rest of your group your wheeling with. You also should consider what you put on your truck then as well, ie 37" tires on f/r 10 bolts....that would not be a well thought out option if you see a lot of trails.

17. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It will be fine, I run basically the same combo, locked F&R with Iroks and have wheeled it HARD with no breakage. When I mean hard, its with the ARB engaged up front with all four tires spinning like mad at WFO on the rocks sawing the wheel back and forth trying to find traction.

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Example...don't be this guy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[​IMG]

I am not the kind of person who would get mad about some thing or kick some ones a$$ out on the trail, but in the end I wasted a bunch of my gas driving to camp and back 2-3 times, and then the time lost not wheeling. So at least have a spare shaft cause its not fair to waste other peoples time and money cause you don't have a spare or haven't upgraded to one of those ultra expensive 14 bff... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

37's on 1/2-Tons sounds like the "ragged edge" of tire/axle combos.

Open diffs would help
    Gentle throttle foot would help
    Surfaces like mud/sand vs. rocks would help

It's easy to say "just go 1-Ton"....since it's not my money, but money is always a consideration in real life. Then again, breaking down on the trail isn't FREE either, it can cost you your whole day of wheeling....as well as your friends' day and then the $$$$ to get your truck home and repaired.

I guess if it were me, I'd be driving like there was a raw egg wedged under the gas pedal until I could either add some more beef to the axles, or do the proper axle upgrades. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Put it all in and run it. The 14SF is a good upgrade to a 10 or 12 bolt.... When you put the front 10b in, just make sure you use some good balljoints and u-joints..... If you're easy on things like you say, you'll be fine. Dont let the peer pressure get to you with the "You gotta run 1 tons or nothing" crowd.