Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would 4 shackles and ladder bars work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Mar 5, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm sure it has been tried, but how well has it worked? I want to make some ladder bars to prevent axle wrap but I don't want the binding associated with them. What if I use a shackle from the rear of a rear spring and put it in the front spring hanger (of the rear spring) to allow the axle to follow the arc of the ladder bars? So basically it would have a shackle at all four corners on the rear springs. It's for a mud truck, and occasionlly will be used for truck pulls - articulation is not a huge concern.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Did you see the recent pics here from the member in Sweden(?)

He showed a single, center-mounted bar that connected to the pumpkin at two points (one above the pumpkin and one near the yoke area) the bar ran up near the t-case output and had a slipjoint on that end.

The idea was that as the rear springs compressed (and moved slightly backwards due to the shackle) the bar could get "longer" to compensate. Seemed to be a valid design and he claimed that it solved his problems.

The only thing I worry about with the center-mounted wrap bars is the potential interference with the gas tank... that would be a bummer to find out at the end of the project. :crazy:

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I seen the post, but I must have missed the part about the slipjoint; I thought it was just a solid link connecting to his shackle. I will go check it out closer.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

shackles at all 4 corners of a set of leaf springs can be done. Its been done for a long time as far as I know. You need a full four link to do it though. The springs completely lose their locating abilities when you do it(though maybe not so much of the side to side, I still wouldn't trust them to do that). Like I said, its been done, there was a rig in Peterson's a few months back at the Ultimate Adventure that had it. THe thing about it is this, you still have the leaf spring weight, plus the weight of a four link(and possible ground clearance loss) and minimal flex gains.