Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would 5,900CFM be enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Mar 11, 2007.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Why not go with the Windstar fans? Would be a whole lot cheaper, and from everyones results, plenty effective.

3. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

totally thought this was an induction question and was very afraid :rolleyes:

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

hahaha me too! i was excited thought...some bigass carb LOL:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Not meant to step on toes, just looking for answers. I was doing some reading on google search and found some interesting data regarding electric fans. It changed my opinion and desire to change out my functioning stock fan.

Question: What is the desire or drive for electric fans for the blazer? Is there real HP increases vs the electric draw by using electric fans?

Here is one link I read. Granted it is referring to an RX7, but the idea, theory and electric draw is still the same. CLICK

Although, there is still a part of me that wants to put electric in just to do it.

6. AZ79K5Project

Wholly Hell Batman.:eek1: Those are way too expensive for any Blazer I have seen.

Even with my last post aside, as to what dyeager535 already said, you can get a set of Windstar fans for $50 to $150 at the wrecking yards. To do it right, you still need the thermostat and wiring.

7. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

i have seen the dyno testing of manual fans vs electric fans and yes, they do free up power. the article from the RX-7 seems to be written by someone with alot of book smarts, but no real world application of that knowledge. the math they do is correct, but fails to take into account all the possible variables. in theory it makes sense, but on the dyno it dosnt hold up.

the important thing with manual or electric fans is to always use a shroud that mounts around the radiator and fan. otherwise there is alot of waisted energy.

in all honesty i have debated the use of an electric water pump for the same reasons.

8. AZ79K5Project

I can see the HP gains at higher RPMs. While on the trail, we typically don't see the RPM range for the increased HP. Is the increased HP substantial at the operating RPM range of a trail truck?

9. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

actually no....... you raise a very valid point, the hp gains i saw were at much higher rpms than our trucks are ever likely to see. i forgot when i was researching electric fans and waterpumps i was researching my 302 project that i was planning on shifting at 6500 rpms. :rolleyes:

10. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

really

when i first read the title..i thought what in the f are you moving!!

but i look at it like this, my motor driven fan is going to chop water and sling it all over the engine bay and i can't turn it off an electric , i can turn it off and its moving whatever cfm no matter my rpm!

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Another benefit to electric fans is they can be shut off during deep water crossings.

Keeps that water from getting splashed up into your dizzy or wherever else you would want it. Like in a rotating fan. Kinda hard on the fan itself.

Electric fans can be thermostatically switched. When they aren't running they aren't drawing any electricity and horse power is increased.

Personally, I just like the cleaned up engine compartment!

OH, and I think 5900 cfm would be enough! I also thought this may be an induction thread.

12. AZ79K5Project

Good points.

13. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

i actually didnt think of the fan in terms of wheelin, thats a really good point blazin. if youre gonna run into fender high water, it would be rather nice to be able to turn that fan off.

14. blazin_blazer

sorry cyber was editing while you were posting!

15. dyeager535

While slightly off-topic, my dual Camaro fans would actually kill the motor if they came on at the same time it was trying to start. The load from the alternator was more than the injection system could deal with in the short time of startup. Quite impressive!

I second the opinion that electric fans are really only good for deep water crossings, OR if you want to exercise some control over their on/off points.

Many more components to potentially fail, while you do free up some space. If you run a dual fan setup, depending on drivetrain, you can use one as a primary, and one as a secondary/failsafe. Plenty of reasons to run it this way vs. both on at same time. Cools my 355 fine thus far, but I've yet to see 90+* ambient temps while crawling or climbing for long periods. I've got my setup running on a 78amp alternator. Not sure how that small an alternator would work with electric fans and a carb. (TPI anticipates the alternator load from a fan and bumps the idle before it kicks on)

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

One thing I noticed and liked about electric fans was when I was at truckhaven and we stopped on the trail for some repairs and I hear the sound of fans blowing. Two of the guys in the group had electic fans and it makes sense to me.

You are puting all kinds of heat into the transmissiono and coolant system and then you just turn it off. With a mechanical fan no more air, with an electric the coolant and transmission fluid can be cooled down and not risk cooking things.

I do not have electric fans.....yet:D

Ira

17. dyeager535

You are right, running the fans after the engine is off must work to cool things, it is done on many if not all vehicles now made with electric fans. (and was done as far back for GM with the Buick GN's) However, if you think about it, the cooling lines for the transmission and coolers are pretty small. The radiator hoses are not, plus they are very short. They would be much more efficient in transferring heat without a pump moving the fluid than the smaller lines. Truck engine bays have lots of space and airflow (even sitting) compared to modern FWD cars, along with giant radiators.

You would be watching the temp in the cylinder heads after shut down, and since the stock sender(s) are either in the cylinder head or intake manifold, you can watch to see if the temperature goes above safe after shutdown easily. If the thermostat is working, shutdown will be 195* at best anyways, even a climb to 210-220* would be perfectly acceptable, although unlikely. I've never seen mine climb anywhere near that much after shutdown.

I do not like that setup though. I would rather not have the chance of the fan coming on while I'm underhood working on it. Besides, if however they are switched or wired fails, (without an ECM it would only be a temp switch) you could come back to a dead vehicle.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If all you are getting an electric fan for is more power, it is not worth it in a truck. You will really see no gains.
    I see no reason to replace the stock fan with an electric unles you do a lot of water crossings. Then it is nice to be able to shut them off.
    Most of us dont drag race our trucks. Electric fas are great if you are looking to shave a tenth off your ET in a light drag car. I run one in my Mustang along with UD pulleys it shaved about 2 tenths off my time.
    But in a low RPM 5000 lb truck running an electric fan really wont help much. If power is what you are after. The money for that fan would be better spent on engine mods. Heads,cam, intake, ECT

19. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

To clear it up. I'm not switching to electric fans to add power. If I wanted to add power I'd swap heads and cam. I'm trying to clear/clean the engine compartment up. Plus I thought that running electric fans would keep things cooler because my engine compartment gets HOT.
    Plus I might look into a roots supercharger down the road. It something that has been running through my head.

20. blazin_blazer

Plus when your runnin 3500rpm at 5 mph in low(whether in mud or over rocks) the eletric will keep it cool, because its forcing the air thru that you would ussually get from an increase in speed