Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would 92+ Blazer bodies fit on a 73-91 frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91K5, May 14, 2002.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

This is just out of curiosity. I'm wondering if a 92+ Blazer body would fit onto a 73-91 K5 frame. I parked next to one today and noticed they look real close to the same size. Anyone know if the body mount holes and dimensions are the same?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I don't think it would work with the 73-77 frame I think if you did have a chance it would be the 78-91 frame that is setup for a rear footwell.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Wont work....not even close to the same frame. I have a printout of a 81 up frame from a frame measuring computer, but I dont have access to the frame computer anymore (previous employer) or I would get a print of the 92 up to show how far off it is. 2 completely different setups. But I am not saying it cant be done w/ a bunch of fab work and it prob wouldnt look to swift but it would be much faster to do a solid axle conversion. Esp. now that they make kits to do it.

4. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I was just curious if they changed the entire chassis or just stuck a IFS axle under the old one.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

No problem. Its too bad they didnt make it more simple to swap, but its a whole new critter.

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The IFS trucks have a wider and stronger frame than the older trucks. So to get their body onto an older frame, it'd take a lot of fabricating of body mounts on the older frame. It can be done. There was a guy in Four Wheeler's Top Truck 1999 (I think it was '99/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif) who had a 90's pickup body on a solid axle frame. Worked well, and most people thought it was a solid axle swap, not a body swap. Still, a lot of work.