Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would a 454 be too much for........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Nov 15, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm going to start building my Yota *ducking flack* and had a few ? before I make my decision. I've got a line on a 4x4 SRW 1-ton and thought about using the engine and axles from it. It has a carb'd 454 and a 400/205. I'm not going to use the 400 because I like my 465, but the 205 I will keep for the Doubler. The Yota will be ridin on 37x13 Boggers. Do you think this will be too much engine for this tiny thing? It will only be used offroad with the maybe once-a-week highway run.

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

LOL...

I'm sure it's been done.. go 4 it man!!!

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Good luck keeping that "yota" cool!!The "yota" engine compartment is rather small,even for a SB motor.Get the biggest,thickest rad you can and make it fit. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifExuast system might be another area of concern.You know that the full width diffs are going to place those tires way outside the fenders,right?About 6" and that's with 8" 4"B.S. wheels.I was going to do this,sorta.I was planning on installing a 4Runner body on a K/5 frame,the wheelbase is about 6" longer than a toys.The fenders on a Toy are small and might be another problem.Hey, anything is possible...go for it!!I'd cut out the front wheelwells,though!Working on that BB is gonna be a pain!!One other item...the dist might be close to the firewall,so you might need a body lift.That would give some more ventalation and airflow.Mike

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

I might just go with a 383 stroker motor. I still want the 1-ton though. The 454 just be something else to sell with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've gone through all of the points of fullsize axles on that. State laws don't mandate tire coverage. Fenders are no problem as I'll be running removeable 'glass on the front. The rear will be a flat-bed. Engine placement and radiator size has been addressed. I'm really doing my homework this time, not guessing like I have done in the past. You should see all the diagrams and sketches I have, along with calculations. I think the coilovers are going to be the best part. The frame will be boxed completely, hydro steering, rollcage integrated with the front clip and stinger, as well as the flatbed rollbar. TTC is calling.......... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Might be easier to just swap the "yota" body onto a K/5 frame.Alot less work and you know the frame is tough enuff.The motor mounts and spring mounts would be where you need them.Coil over in the front.....Cool!I'm doig something a little similiar,cutting a K/5 body 12" out of the width and bobbing 8" off the bed.I like the K/5 lines and want to confuse everyone!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI'm planning on throwing the body on my frame,which has 3/4 ton diffs,SB motor,SM465 trans(wanna do a dual 465 gear box!!).Good luck and have fun!!!

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

We're going coilovers on a 4 corners Cap'n! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I know I'm going to be dropping the cash on those puppies. I would put it on a K5 frame, but I'm going with the Yota extended cab frame so I will be able to play with my wheelbase a little more than a K5 frame would allow. I'm just ready to fabricate something from almost scratch.

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I think its a terrible idea, you better just give me the 1 ton truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

I'll give you what's left of it. So that will be a 454, 400, 14 bolt, and a complete chassis and cab.

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Man Id love to have a 454 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

yeah i would love to have it too

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

You can buy it as soon as I get the truck.