Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would a 91 Sub have a HVAC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jun 18, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've heard about something called the HVAC going bad on later model trucks and was wondering if the 91 burb would have one. My A/c is worthless right now and I cant figure out why, could this be it? I figure since the 91 burb is half old stuff and half new, it might be the problem. Thx

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think what you are talking about failing on the newer trucks is the "control head" which is obviously where all the controls are for the driver/passenger.

I doubt it's your problem if the AC works, but not well. It does control some of the "blend doors" via vacuum, and it is fairly common for those doors to stick, or the vacuum part of the setup to not work 100%.

Diagnosis, not replacement is the answer though. Have to give more info about what it is or is not doing.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

when was the last time the AC was recharged? AC does need to be peridoically recharged with new freon.

5. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Yes, HVAC is just a fancy way fo saying your a/c system in genral.

6. afroman006

Well see my problems is that the system constantly blows the A/c fuse which in turn dissables my speedometer and sometimes my transmission wont shift out of first /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I figured it was electrical since the fuse keeps blowin.

7. krayzie

krayzie Registered Member

Sounds like perhaps your AC compressor clutch coil may be shorting out and blowing your fuse. Its not uncommon to happen, and its easy to change out. Just need a puller to get the clutch plate out of the way, then one snap ring takes the rest apart. Just an idea, as the coil does draw quite a few amps through that circuit. Good luck to you anyway!

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Disconnecting the wiring at the compressor would prove the problem exists there or not, correct?

9. afroman006

I'll try that as you are the second person to recomend it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. What kind of puller do I need exactly and are the instructions for doing this in my Hayne's or Chilton's manual?