Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would a power steering pump work for this??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82GMCP/U, Nov 2, 2003.

1. 82GMCP/U

82GMCP/U Registered Member

Would a power steering pump work to run my hydralic plow set up? I know I would have to add a resivior to hold more fluid, but would it have enough oumph to run the steering and the plow? Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you would need to add cooling and modify the pump and I still think you would have unresponsive steering when using the plow.

3. 82GMCP/U

82GMCP/U Registered Member

what kind of mod. would I have to do to the pump?

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

If you use a second power steering pump and add a reservoir by putting a junk of rad hose on the neck, they work great. They beat stock fisher pumps all to hell. They will angle with a full blade at idle and as soom as you hit the lift, the plow is up, no sitting and reving.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you use a second power steering pump and add a reservoir by putting a junk of rad hose on the neck, they work great. They beat stock fisher pumps all to hell. They will angle with a full blade at idle and as soom as you hit the lift, the plow is up, no sitting and reving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful of using radiator hose though. It's not intended to have oil in contact with it. It will swell and blister inside, then one day it will start leaking. A quality parts house should be able to set you up with hose up to the job.