Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would anyone be interested in a restoration forum?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Nov 11, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Now that we have the "Center of Gravity" forum to Discuss 4x4 design and construction techniques including suspension theory, specialty tools, fabrication and extreme body modifications would anyone be interested in a restoration forum?
    Not everyone is the hack the fenders off type and with our trucks being all closer to the 30 year old classics maybe a place to discuss resto and rust might be a good idea, I dunno?

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I think thats a great idea Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think it would eliminate a lot of duplicate posts and stuff about the subject such as where to get resto parts and what years certain stuff was available. So I say make that forum a reality. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

no that is covered in the forum under body type

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    no that is covered in the forum under body type

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree...

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I thik it would be a good idea. Not everyone wants a hardcore K5. I do though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Was starting to wonder if anyone else even thought about
    "stock" , I like 'em full tilt, don't get me wrong but
    there's something way sweet about factory iron /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

great idea, hope you start one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Just my opinion but most who come to CK5 are looking for info on changing their rig to be better than stock. That is how I found this place. I got sick of talk about NOS parts and original GM sheetmetal that I encountered on other boards.
    This may be the best place on the web for chevy truck info but it isn't the only one. There are boards out there for resto guys and this place gets some traffic from them, but I don't think it warrants an entire forum. Most questions related to resto get answered in the model specfic forums w/o clogging them up.
    Just my $.02

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds good to me , i've been seeing alot of blazers lately and now i want one. mine was to rusted out,thats why i put on a pick up cab. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

very good idea... sometimes peeps just wanna restore their rig... and if they post here in garage about it, they will invariably be flooded with "[darn] stock, line-x the exterior, hack them fenders to hell, and go 1-ton!!!" responses. I know I've done it a time or two. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

10. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

arent there enough sub catagories already? if you do have a resto catergory, the next thing you will be breaking that into burbs, k5, pickups of each body change (hopefully not every grille change).......and the main message board page will be a mile long.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There used to be a seperate pickup forum, but it was dead so it was merged with the 2nd Gen blazer forum a few years ago.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Steve,

The 1st Gen area has a "sticky" post called "Cancer Support Group" which somewhat addresses the unique concerns of our 30+ year old K5s.....

It's not an "active" area per se, but people do seem to view it a lot for the common repairs like rocker boxes and footwell repairs.

Not sure how much the later model guys care about "restoration"......but I think the 1st Gen guys have a simple system that's working pretty well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I care about 2nd gen restoration, My k5 is IMO too nice to thrash but I'm thinking of getting me a 70's k5 and going all out..

14. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I think it would be great to have a resto forum. My old truck is now 32 year's old, and I like it, I don't plan on torching off the fender's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Steve

I like my K-5 the way I've built mine up. Some of the people here have gone to the extreme (which is great). I just cann't do those things anymore..... So I like the body swap, triming of my fenders, lift and other mods that I've done. But you'll never find me taking mine on some of the rocks I've seen others go on.... Mine is for weekend 4wheeler that still has to be road worthy during the week....

I feel that it may be useful for someone that wants to do repairs on theirs. I would like to see a forum for part #'s. It Seems like we have a lot of people asking for part #'s...

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I think a restoration forum would be an excellent idea!! Even though most of the guys are advocates of cutting fenders, but some of us don't even have any fenders left to cut! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Restoration can go hand-in-hand with "hardcore-ness", because a lot of restoration can deal with simply making your truck safe to move under its own power again without the body falling off!

17. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I think it is a great idea...a place to have all the rust repair info/products, resto parts and commments about the quality of different brands (LMC vs. Chevy Duty, etc)And tips or tricks for hardcore rust and panel replacement and repair.

So I vote yeah...

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Wonder if steve could get LMC or someone to sponsor the page...like az kickin does for the garage...would be cool for all involved...

DW

19. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    arent there enough sub catagories already?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The First gen section has been able to cover most of my restoration needs. Dont see the point in having one dedicated to just restoration as the first gen threads have dropped to no more than 5 or 6 a day

20. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think that would be a SUPER idea.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It would be nice to see something other than spray can paint jobs!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Some REAL bodywork would be nice TOO!!!
    I haven't seen anyone doing "Heat Shrinking" or any of the "Lost Arts" of Bodywork...

I'm re-building my Purple k5 with a mint pan from the Cali Baha!!!
    I'm doing a flawless "Frame-off" resto..with graphics..
    a 3 year project..

Do you need a MOD that has been painting since age 4?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif