Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would anyone be interested in a snorkel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, May 27, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've been chatting with some air intake manufacturers and I expressed my interest for a mass produced snorkel for the Second gen blazers and C/K body styles. They would be willing to make them, from our stock airbox setup, out the fender, and up to the roof line. I spoke in depth with K&N at SEMA, they have a silicon sheath that repels water, that fits over their cone style air filters.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I may be interested unless I got other ways for the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm very intrested, but I'd have too see pics of the install befor I'd buy.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Serioulsy interested, but I'd want to try and do an internal filter myself.

If I could stick one on each A-Piller and run through either one or two filters into the TBI I would love it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Heck if I could moddiy one to fit my van I'd do that too (once my wife let me/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's anything more than $200 and doesn't include:
    a neck to go on the throttle body/carb (5 1/8")
    no less than 3.5" piping to a remote filter mounted on the fenderwell
    no less than 3.5" piping from the airbox through the fender and up the A-pillar
    it can't interfere with the stock fender-mount antenna for the later K5s/Suburbans
    it can't get in the way of stock mirrors with door open
    the height must be adjustable so you can bring it down to rearview mirror level for woods warriors like myself that nearly tear their gutters off when in the woods

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oh! I second cybersniper on the woods part, up here where I wheel there is trees everywhere, and lots of 'em!

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

make it happen, I'll buy! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I live in the desert, sorry.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Why are you sorry?

They get cleaner air up above your rig in the desert, they don't have to deal with all the road dust . . .
    Snorkles are more for that than they are for deep water.

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I hate to be picky but......

Should a filter be kept externally or internally?
    You may choose only one
    Yes
    No

I can't answer yes or no to a multiple choice question.

I'm kind of intrigued by the snorkel and anti dust concept. Keep us in the circle.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

11. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

I'm with cybersniper on this. I drowned my truck a few times on the weekend and feel a snorkel would have been the deciding difference both times I got stuck. I haven't installed a snorkel yet because I'm not sold on the whole plumbing pipe thing as it's not bombproof enough. It would have to be at least 4", tough as nails and able to hold a filter at the top. I'm not against drilling/welding on the body to make it work either.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

the idea is to make it a kit with the least amount of "find it yourself" or "make it fit" kit.

THe easiest thought was, of course, to have a 3->3.5" intake, that would go through a hole cut through the fender, and connect to the stock airbox on top of your carb or TBI.

The options of course, was whether to keep a stock filter setup (TBI style) or to go with a Open cone style. The open cone (with the silicone cover) looked pretty good, it shed water pretty well when I tested it. I dont think it would help save you if your up to your roofline in water, but it will help prevent water from getting through from rain/splashes, etc. THere was also the option of perhaps doing it HUMVEE Style, with the air intake like a mushroom cap, and then having a first layer sponge type filtration.

Im curious to see how ARB deals with Rain issues, as their snorkel is top mounted, facing forward like a scoop.

That being said, there's always the option of using a diverter, since rushing liquid has more momentum than rushing air, the liquid can be forced out at the bend.

13. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i would be greately interested in one, heck, i already came up with my own removable concation, not purdy even by my standards, thats why its removable.

make it tough, keep in mind it needs to feed a V8, and some hungry ones too, and keep it out of the way.

keep the price resonable, i mean 400 bucks for a molded piece of plastic? dang, hard to find tires that expensive. and if need be i would be fine with having to remove some part of it in order to open the hood, as long as it comes off quick.

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If they designed it right they could make it so it went out either side of the body. Of course, it'd make the piece that was outside the truck 3 pieces but life is rough. Then you wouldn't have to relocate your jack depending on year of vehicle. IE: you could put the snorkle on either side.

I was thinking either an airbox with a cone-type filter or a large plate-type filter. Either one will flow enough air. There would then be an elbow that went to the TBI or carburetor.

The plumbing can have no less surface area than a 3.5" tube. Preferably 4". That's 10-13 square inches of surface area. Anything less than that with that long of a tube and you'll have restriction problems.

You have to be able to "cut to height" the riser tube because us woods people would just ruin them. The Safari snorkles have removable tops but that still wouldn't do me any good. I only run 4" of lift and 33s and the paint in front of my gutters is wore off most of the way through the primer too. The A-pillars are all scratched up as well. Yes, I follow the Jeep guys. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So, the maximum height I could run is about even with my rearview mirror. However, I suspect the desert guys would like to have theirs about 4" above the roof.

Honestly, if they think about it carefully they can make it so the snorkle goes on either side while being adjustable.

Using the stock air cleaner is stupid. You can retain the stock location of the filter but hooking up to a stock air cleaner is stupid. You'd have to go through and design all sorts of different adapters to hook to it because they used so many different ones over the years. Plus, they point in different directions. Some of them have dents in them to clear the distributor so even if you did re-index the air cleaner you'd have to put new dents in it as well.

The Safari snorkle is a pretty slick design in how it gets rid of water.

If they're going to make something that looks more retarded than my toilet-flange setup instead of slick like one on a Cherokee then forget it. I'll keep my toilet flange and PVC.

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hell yeah man, I'd be seriously interested in one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif