Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would Anyone Care To Do A Writeup On Setting Up Gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Mar 3, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This one is pretty self explanatory. I know that different axles take different methods and such, but I think an overall guide would be very helpful to a lot of people. Around here it would be $300+ per differential to have new gears set up. With a quality set of gears costing as much as they do plus an install kit, regearing can become quite an investment. Just a thought, if done thoroughly and correctly it could save a lot of people a lot of money.

2. cbrown

cbrown Registered Member

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's a pretty good write up. Wish I'd seen it before I did mine!! I'm a motorcycle mechanic of some 20+ years in the trade and(tho I say so myself!) pretty good with most things mechanical, but setting up gears for the 1st time is pretty nerve racking as you just don't know if you've got it right or not. Those patterns can be a b**ch to read! I did the best I could with a lot of help from Readymix (on here) and thankfully they turned out ok! But if you've got no mechanical skills at all I'd have to advise you to take it to a shop or get some buddies who know how, in.:grin:

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status