Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would anyone from CO. be able to help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dleroy43, Jan 18, 2005.

1. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am getting out of the army this summer and I dont want to move back to california. At the end of the year I am moving to colorado to go to school. There is about a $200-$300 per semester hour, price differance between resident and not resident prices. I would like to become a resident ASAP since it will take a year for my resident status is acceptable for the lower price. I can do the paperwork over here, just need to find an address to write down.
    Let me know if would be able to help and thanks :burb:

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Would renting a UPS store P.O. box be illeagal to use for this, if they would even know? I use one for business, and it has a normal type of address without haveing the P.O. in the address. Just a thought.:thinking:

3. woods

woods Registered Member

I thought most of the time, when you get out of the military you could change to any state you want.

4. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Not as easy as it sounds. I have been stationed at Ft. Carson for the past four years and just exited the Army a couple weeks ago. My intent was to attend the Law Enforcement Academy at one of the Community Colleges after I ETS'd. Resident cost approx. $4000, non-resident cost approx. $13000. Colorado has extremely strict regulations regarding resident tuition. Some of the qualifications are (off the top of my head):

1. Voter Registration in Colorado
    2. Colorado Drivers License
    3. Vehicle Registration (with the very high ownership taxes paid, military exempt does not count)
    4. Colorado State taxes

There are others, however I cannot remember them. These qualifications need to have been met for a minimum of a year to be considered valid.

Even though I had a Colorado drivers license (only for the past 7 months) and maintained a residence in Colorado for years, I was not eligible for resident tuition AFTER my exit from the military. Only during my Active duty time was I considered a "Military Resident".

Thank god I was offered a job before I had to go though this hassle!! Good luck and congrats on your ETS!!

5. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Iam going to try to find out more info this week I hope. Thanks for the help.

But if anyone has an address and other thoughts are allways welcome