Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would I be a moron if...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jun 27, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went on a weekend wheeling trip without spare front axleshafts? I've got lockouts and u-joints, but I can't find shafts around here for an anywhere close to sane price. It's a D60, and I run 39.5's with a tired 350. It'll be mostly tight trails with a few rocks and a lot of mud thrown in. My friend wants to go the weekend of the 9th, and I'm up for it except for this. If I drive with my head instead of my cajones I should be fine, but junk happens and I don't want to be "that guy". Besides, this will be this truck's shakedown run so I'd like to be able to run it the whole weekend. Grrrrr....this is making me crazy....what do you guys think....should I give it a whirl or am I an idiot for thinking about it?

2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I think you should be fine... like you said... use your mind not the balls... just don't do anything harder than you think you could handle... if it's questionable terrain... don't do it. Better to say "well I think I coulda done it" than to say "oh ****..." basically

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If your sig is correct and you've got a locker in the 60, I'd be real careful without spares.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a trac-lok, which is Dana's weak limited slip diff.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't think it's impossible to break D60 stuff, but it's a lot less common than 1/2 ton stuff. At BB03 i saw FWP frag a Spicer U-joint, and 73K5tony snap a stub shaft. Fred was trying an optional and was on the stupid pedal pretty hard while bouncing. Stub and shaft were fine.

Tony got a 44" TSL stuck under a rock shelf on Upper Helldorado. Both guys were running 30 spline stuff and regular U-joints. I wheeled the entire weekend there without spare shafts, and I'll do it again at BB05. From what I have seen first hand the 30 spline 60 stuff takes a hell of a beating before letting go.

Rene

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I agree with tRustyK5, I have beat on my 60 prettty bad and not broke anything, hell last trip I got one of my 38.5 SX's I was running then spinning and bounincg hard enough to do a nice smoke show. I got pics if you want proof. I would not worry about it, I don't carry any spares with me and probably won't at BB'05 either.

Krennen

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got a detroit.... no spare front shaft.... and hammer foot is my nick name :laugh:

***edited...

however I am getting a 1 piece rear d-shaft from a bud.. so gonna use mine now mounted on the bed wall for a spare.. I also have a front shaft which is too long.. just needs to be cut down then I will carry spares..... One day I expect to carry extra shafts, universals, tools, alt, water pump, starter, belts...... :grin:

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go, and be easy on the skinny pedal. Things happen, but you can't let the possibility stop the fun or you will never go anywhere.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

With a Dana 60 front and a weak limited slip I wouldn't be overly concerned about not having spares......from my experience most people with front 60's don't carry any.

With that said, I have broken 3 shafts on my Dana 60.
    1. the old necked down short side inner
    2. pass. side stub
    3. driver's side stub

These were all on different trips. I'm running 38's with a front Lock-right. The stubs let go while getting on it pretty hard while on rocks.