Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would it be a bad idea...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by pvfjr, Jul 2, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

to haul a 465/205 and a D44/14FF with my Datsun for 120 miles? Or would it even be possible. :blush: Hmm, I'd hate to make two trips or take a gas guzzler going that far. How many pounds would that be? Or would they even fit? Or would anyone be heading from concrete to tacoma with a lot of extra room?

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i assume its a pickup, heck id do it. might throw on a cheep set of over load/helper spings first..but then again i always seem to be doing things most wouldn't...like the one time i pulled my friends 74 camaro 10 miles down the road with twine..yes thats right twine..it was all we had at 3 in the morining..

3. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kind of 120 miles?

Hiway I would say yes. Its just your bumpstops. But if you plan on stopping/starting a lot, it might be a bit much for your clutch.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Should be mostly freeway. I guess I could throw a little extra pressure in the air shocks and just go for it. I think it all adds up to around 1300, doesn't exceed the 1/2 ton rating that much. Clutch is darn near gone though, maybe this will finish it off. :D

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Air up the tires and go........

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i hauled a ff14b and D60 from newport to vancouver in my 94 ranger extended cab. Rear suspension was in low rider mode the whole way, but she made it. ;)

j

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

air up, gas up, 'n go! :waytogo:

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Did you do it already? I would say the parts described would wiegh about 1000lbs. If loaded correctly I think you would be just fine. Just don't be in any hurry to go, stop, or turn for that matter. Just get it home. :D

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Nope, haven't done it yet. I added up a total using the "shipping weights" thread, comes out to about 1300. I've still got to get a hold of the guy, take the bias ply swampers off the Datsun, and put on something that'll put me back in my power band on the freeway. :eek1:

More to come on the Datsun with swampers...
    as soon as I figure out how to edit this stupid video.

10. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Off the top of my head:
    350 lbs D44
    500 lbs 14FF
    200 lbs 465
    150 lbs 205
    ----------------
    1200 lbs Total

What I would be more concerned with is the tire rated maximum wieght. Not so much the front because they will have LESS weight on them, but only figuring the rear. Drive the truck to one the the scales on the side of the highway and find an empty weight for the rear axle then add 1200-1300 lbs. I suspect this will FAR exceed the rated weight of the two rear tires which will most certainly fail on a long highway trip overloaded. Heat buildup at freeway speeds can be hard on an overloaded tire.

I've got a Ford 1 ton that blew a rear tire while I was going 60, around a corner, and towing a 25' long 8000 lb trailer. Yeah, not fun. Split the tire wide open.

On a side note, remember that older Fords have one side of the truck that has reverse threads on the lug nuts. That information alone would have saved me about 2 hours in the blistering summer heat on the side of the road. Hey, it's an old truck. I thought they were just seized from being on there for that many years. Doh!
    Travis

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think I've got a bent housing in the rear too, cause the rear tires are bald on the inside, but have tread on the outside. Must be from the days of jumping it and tearing around in the woods filled up with old snow.

The rear is pretty light empty, me and a couple of buds have picked it up before. I could probably drive it up on a couple of bathroom scales. :haha:

I was actually kinda worried about the tires, maybe I can find a couple temps to throw on the rear.