Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would it be a Sin to flat bed my K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Jun 24, 2002.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about doing this for a while? What do y'all think??? I also experienced some nice body damage this weekend.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's your truck...do what you feel is best! Frizz just did that to his.

Rene

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If it were some cherry low-miles-rust-free-just-bought-it-from-the-old-lady-down-the-street-with-20,000-original-miles truck then I might wince a bit, but if it's a beat up trail beast then I say go for it! </font color>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    cherry low-miles-rust-free-just-bought-it-from-the-old-lady-down-the-street-with-20,000-original-miles truck

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought those only existed in fairy tales? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Usually the old lady took it to the weekend drags ever Friday night...

Rene

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

go for it flatbeds are awesome serious tire clearance and you can make em narrower for trail runnin'!

6. wahbob

wahbob Registered Member

AAAAAAHHHHH SINNNNNNEEEERRRR!!! J/K Its your Blazer- have fun with it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Flatbeds are definately cool, narrower, shorter, taller caged, all that fun stiff, thats the way I'm going with mine. I say go for it and be hap hap happy! I'm doing one to my LWB K20.

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

To me, I think its just not the same if its not a full-bodied full-size K5! My vote is to keep as much of the body intact as possible.

Just my .02

-Dan

9. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I have thought of this. My latest idea, I only get one every now and then, /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif has been a pickup cab w/ a narrowed shortened short bed to fit on a chopped K5 frame. Similar to Walker Evans ARCA rig, but fullsize. And I don't own my own race shop. Will a pickup cab fit on a K5 frame? What do you guys think of this?

10. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

if the body is beat beyond all recognition i would but that would have to be about it, i just love the body style on my first gen k5 but on a newer one they look cool all cut up!

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Mine is an '87. The body is not beat that bad. Was perfect until Memorial Day in Clayton, Ok. It probably will be fairly trashed by the time I would execute the plan. I am looking for something that performs real well on hard trails, but still maintains some of the original body characteristics and lines and can be maneuverable.

12. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

i have found a truck cab for cheap, so i think i'm going to put the cab on the blazer frame, chop the ass off the frame of right after the spring perch and make a flatbed, and maybe cut the back off the cab so it is open air like a blazer. One question, my rear set up right now is the ord flip and 2.5" superlift springs, think i shoudl keep that, or go with longer springs???

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hell yes! Did you see DBlazer's pics? That's a beautiful thing!

14. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

The last time I saw your truck it looked pretty clean, but that was before Granite Hills. Since that I can't say how bad it is now. If you're thinking about an old truck cab and cutting it so it's open air, I think it would be easier just to cut the K5 body strait down from the front top seal then you have open air without the cost of the truck cab. Whatever you do keep us informed and post some pictures of the build or disbuild whatever it would be.