Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would it be worth it to run race fuel.....?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

On the way home from work today there was a nova driving in front of me, and i got a nice whiff of some race fuel, I pulled up next to him and verified what i was smelling. He said he was just runnin a little bit, so i got to thinking maybe i should try it out....

If i were to run race fuel, What kind of power gains could i expect? What ratio should i mix in? my motor is just a 383 with 9.5:1 compression, Edelbrock air cap intake, 2.02 heads.. . If ya need more info on that to give a better answer, i can go find the papers....

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't know if race fuel itself would really help your engine any. If it runs fine without pinging on pump gas then why switch? I guess you may be able to bump up your timing a bit and gain a few extra ponies but I can't see anything short of changing your compression ratio would change your HP/TQ output drastically. I dunno, I've never done it. Just my 2 cents.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have problems with my 406 pinging while towing and have considered dumping in a couple gallons of 110 to help it not ping. I wouldn't use it unless you are having pinging problems or plan on racing/pulling of some sort. I wouldn't use it for just driving around, too damned expensive for that!

4. Silver84k5

well yea i wouldnt use it for runnin around... I would be using it for sand lake... Dune runnin and such... Just wondering if it would really give me power gains that would be worth the $$$

I do know that i love that smell /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

It wouldn't give you a gain unless you're pinging under load.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

9.5:1 you really shouldn't need it, a good premium fuel should be all you need. Sure it smells good but the rule of thumb is, always use the lowest octane fuel you can. You will make more power running the lowest octane you can. Aka if you don't ping running 89 octane, run 89 octane. Besides I know in most states leaded race fuels are not street legal, though I've never even heard of a cop bothering to dip a tank or caring.

7. Silver84k5

ah ok... I didnt know about the rule of thumb... I just thought more octane = more power.. heh Thx for saving me some money yall /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Race gas will allow you to run your timming advance a little higher thus gain a few more hp. I would not chance it though. Last thing you want to do is mess with your timming everytime you fill up with race gas. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Look at it this way: Octane is a rating for the fuel's resistance to detonation. How do you do that? Make the fuel harder to light off or make it burn slower, or both. So now you put this fuel in an engine not designed for it. You've got a slow burning, hard to light fuel in a low compression engine (relative to race engines designed with high Octane in mind)that can't burn it properly.
    I predict that your mileage will go down, your exhasut gas temps will go up (still burning fuel when the valve opens), and the power will drop. Ideally an engine should be operated on the lowest Octane fuel that it does not detonate on in normal operation.

BTW, all 'gasoline' has roughly the same BTU content so there is no power difference in the fuel alone. If you want to add power by changing fuel you need to go to Nitromethane. Don't do that.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, all 'gasoline' has roughly the same BTU content so there is no power difference in the fuel alone. If you want to add power by changing fuel you need to go to Nitromethane. Don't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

How bout alcohol? Make more power and run cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You have to jet a lot richer to run alcohol. In fact, it would be a whole different carb because you need something like almost twice as much fuel. Fuel injection setups can be made to run on either. Ford/GM/Chrysler all have flexible fuel vehicles that do this. You can buy E85 in some areas. 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. I think the gas is actually added so you can't drink it. Otherwise, that's one cheap party /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You have to jet a lot richer to run alcohol. In fact, it would be a whole different carb because you need something like almost twice as much fuel. Fuel injection setups can be made to run on either. Ford/GM/Chrysler all have flexible fuel vehicles that do this. You can buy E85 in some areas. 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. I think the gas is actually added so you can't drink it. Otherwise, that's one cheap party /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif I thought rubbing alcohol, race alcohol, and the alcohol in my brew were all different? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I believe most rubbing alcohol is either ethanol of isopropyl alcohol. Race alcohol is generally methanol, but ethanol can be used. The alcohol in your brew is also ethanol. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I used it when I was using my truck for the truck pulls.. I put in about a 1/4 tank.. I didn't feel any diffrence in power..

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol).

Race alcohol is Methyl alcohol (methanol), probably 99% of the time.

Brew/hard stuff alcohol is ethyl alcohol (ethanol).

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said, but you can find Holley's set up to fuel with alcohol. Some roundy racing is done this way.

The reason for the gasoline in M85 is that straight alcohol corrodes most metals in the system, particularly any aluminum. It can also be hard on some rubbers. (easy now) The gasoline counteracts the corrosive effects of the alcohol.
    Another problem with alcohol is that it pulls moisture out of the air. So an unsealed container of alcohol (like your fuel tank) will degrade over a fairly short time period.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

We run alcohol in my Cousin's Modified. Nothing like that exhaust to burn the crap out of your eyes and lungs. Hes got a Holley four barrel sitting on top of his motor, and whoever said you jet richer with alcohol didn't say it in nearly big enough letters. Alcohol jets are huge compared to Gasoline jets. Doesn't help mileage but I know my cousins car makes over 500 horsepower, with unported cast steel heads(not your run of the mill GM production heads but not big time fancy heads either).

18. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

just from my experience with dirt bikes and race gas...it gives no significant gain....bout the same as changing a dirty air filter to a clean one...yer not gonna notice it... what I have learned is the only gain u get with race gas is the ability to increase yer compression which does increase power...its really not the fuel thats giving u power, its the mods that require the fuel that does! hope that helps...save the money for a real mod! as for using it at the sandbox...unless yer engine IS pinging up the hills, I wouldnt waste my money...It does burn cooler tho, so if yer engine temps are high, it'll help that a lil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Would it be worth it to run race fuel.....? *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

20. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Well, if you want to raise your octane level, cheaply, but Naptha from your local fuel network...Costs about 360.00 for 55 gallons. mixing 1 gallon of it with 20 gallons of 89 Octane will bump it to he next level, and costs cheaper than buying the gasoline with he higher level.

But unless you have higher compression, around 10:1, there is no need for it.
    Eddie