Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would like to see pics of K5's with 6" lift and 38" tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Would like to see pics of K5\'s with 6\" lift and 38\" tires

I've got a 6" suspension lift and will be going to 38" tires. I'd like to see pics of rigs with this set up too see how high it'll be. I may add a 2" body lift also, but I'm not sure about that yet. I'll be mostly just running trails and doing some mudding.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Would like to see pics of K5\'s with 6\" lift and 38\" tires

<font color="green"> Not a K5, but this is my SWB pickup with 38s and Superlift 6" springs all around. Lots of pics here, and more if you go to my main webshots page. Webshots locked a bunch of the pics, but there are still quite a few. </font>

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much fender trimming needs to be done ??? Did you need to relocate the front axle forward ??? I'm trying to get ready for this. How well will a Dana 44 hold up to 38's ??? I'm not going to be a rock crawler. But I want to be prepaired for what problems I'm most like run acrost. I think I might need some nerf-bars and handles to get my fatass up in the truck when it gets the 38's, LOL.

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I've got the setup you are talking about - 6" lift with 38.5 Swamper SXs. I had already trimmed the fenders just like Steve did to his (see writeup he did on this site). I also moved the front axle forward 1.5" with one of A-Tron's "zero-rate" blocks. That was the key...I don't rub the tires at all even at full flex now. The block itself raises the vehicle less than an inch, so my lift is probably closer to 7" overall in front (but springs are a few years old, so not true 6" anymore either!)

Anyways, 6" with moving axle forward should help you clear the big meats...plus of course the fender trimming. If you go to www.socalbigdawgs.com you can see my truck in the Members Rides section...

Good luck!

5. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Close to 6" lift and 38/12.5SXs. Minor trimming on the back of the front fenders, but not much.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I trimmed all the way to the cab and still rubbed when it flexed hard. Front axle was in the stock location. The D44 did not hold up to 38s, I broke numerous shafts including Warns, lots of steering joints and 2 ring gears Also broke a side gear in a Power Lock. I went pretty easy on it too, I thought. I am not generally throttle-happy so I think that the 38s were just too big of a tire for the D44. Others on here will disagree on that point. </font>

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> I trimmed all the way to the cab and still rubbed when it flexed hard. Front axle was in the stock location. The D44 did not hold up to 38s, I broke numerous shafts including Warns, lots of steering joints and 2 ring gears Also broke a side gear in a Power Lock. I went pretty easy on it too, I thought. I am not generally throttle-happy so I think that the 38s were just too big of a tire for the D44. Others on here will disagree on that point. </font>

[/ QUOTE ] I'll have to try it myself to see if the Dana 44 will handle my driving. Do you think I'd still need to relocate the front axle forward if I install a 2" body lift ??

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll have to try it myself to see if the Dana 44 will handle my driving. Do you think I'd still need to relocate the front axle forward if I install a 2" body lift ??

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I would recommend relocating the front axle over doing a body lift. You're already talking about having a hard time hauling your butt into it as it is, why make it higher than it needs to be? If you relocate and trim to the floor of the cab then you should be fine. The rubbing that I got was pretty minor, mostly just made some noise but didn't really damage the tires. </font>