Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would loose 14 bolt rear drum's cause?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Apr 18, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Would loose 14 bolt rear drum\'s cause?

Vibration?
    I think my rear drum's are loose causing the rear end to shake and cause vibration from the the rear of the truck..
    Anyone ever had this problem?

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Re: Would loose 14 bolt rear drum\'s cause?

I'm experiencing the same thing and wonder if thats the culprit... when I put my drums back on I didn't have the special tool to torque down the bearing nut, so I didn't get it torqued good enough. I only have the vibration above 30 and when I'm not applying any gas. The vibration feels differen't then the vibration of bad ujoints so I'm guessing the rear. Anybody know the right torque setting to tighten the bearing nuts?

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you can try and rule out the driveline/ujoints by removing them and running on front wheel drive. if you grinded the rear drums you might have to balanace them again.

ARQ.

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Rear drum's haven't been grounded down... The u-joint's are brand new.. as I have had the driveshaft cut/rewelded/balanced to accept the 1-ton u-joint at the rear pinion..
    My truck vibrates at 60+ MPH under load.. and stop's when i back off the gas..
    Any other ideas?

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Did you torque the spindle nuts to 50lbs, and then back them out, and re-torque them to 35lbs? That is what I had to do to mine... Just my .02
    -Dan

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

sounds like a driveline problem, but i don't think you could have this problem with just a 4" lift. did you raise your k5 or anything? You might want to check to see if everything is tight like your u-bolts and the u-joint straps. just ideas.

ric

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Bowtie..
    I just swapped my 14 bolt and Dana 44 over to my 89 Blazer. Selling the 83.. But before I swapped.. the truck was fine.. both of them.
    I replaced the tranny mount and it helped a little.. I'll work the small things first.. i'm going to lower the xfer case again, shim the rear and remove the front driveshaft spacer. Then work from there..
    Plus.. the left rear drum is leaking from around the seal.. and I just replaced them before the last slab run..
    It's never ending.. lol..
    Thanks for all the suggestions..

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

MAN get that spindle nut socket!! autozone, kragen, and napa all carry it.. I just did my rear axle and i think the spec was like 95 foot pounds per nut.. Man youre playing with fire if you didnt even get it torqued to half of what it should be

mike

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

to seat the bearings, then you back it off to zero preload

10. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Make sure your bearings are seated properly and the snap ring which retains the outer bearing is fully seated.

I lost an axle almost all the way outta the spingle due to that retaining ring. Its a funny pic, but I don't know how to post pics here.

Before the S#@t came out I got some serious wobbles going on.. Also check if your axle shafts are still true.. Pretty hard to break 14FF shafts, but you never know if they were tweaked at some point.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the tool is 25 bucks. new bearings and seals are 45 per side. i think i would get the socket if i was you.
    grant