Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would MSD ignition help on a Vortec engine?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Oct 11, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

In a few hours I'm purchasing a 96 Black Tahoe with a Vortec engine. I will be putting my truck up for sale and I was wondering if I should take the MSD box off of it and put it on my Tahoe. Would it make a difference on the Vortec engine?

If it will help, I may pull the MSD spark plug wires off the truck, put new ends on them and put them in the Tahoe. I would then get a generic set and put on the truck. I still have all of the old HEI stuff I could put back on the truck but before I swap, I want to make sure there will be a noticable performance increase.

If you have any experience with an MSD and a Vortec motor, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you already have a good HEI system I don't think you will see any big performance gain putting in an MSD on a stock engine, the HEI is a pretty good system in it's stock form.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm with bajaviking. The difference you will see from (assuming) carbed to injection alone will render the better startup/idle issues null, and HEI is unbeatable for typical use.

There is no power gain from the ignition boxes, (or not enough to worry about) so in my thinking, the injection alone will render the MSD worthless.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree with the arguments set here, but if it were me, I would still pull the MSD and related parts, and sell them seperate for some extra cash /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Sounds good guys. The MSD helps on the old chevy but I wasn't sure it would help on the Vortec with the newer ignition systems. You probably saved me some dissapointment.

Thanks.

6. Angry Republican

Angry Republican Registered Member

I have one on my 97 k1500. I have not noticed a difference. It looks nice under the hood.