Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would nitrous work on a desil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Mar 27, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I dont a desil or have any plans for nitrous for my 350. I was just wandering if you could put it in a desil. Anyone know?

LMK
    NIck

2. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

Yea, but most folks use propane if they want an extra kick. It does pretty much the same thing to a diesel as NOS does to a gasser. You can still use NOS in a diesel, but I dont think that it has as much of an effect as propane does.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Propane works the same way on a diesel as nitrous does on a gas engine.
    I've heard of nitrous on a diesel before but not sure how well it worked.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, and it works much like on a gasser. Basically, the "O" lets you pump in more fuel and burn it giving more power. Diesels also respond well to Propane, and some truly insane individual use both along with healthy drive train upgrades. Nitrous or Propane will help get rid of the black smoke associated with over fueling too.

But, most modern diesels don’t need that help to achieve spectacular results. A guy running a truck like mine with air filter and exhaust mods with a chip recently ran 12.61 @ 110 (IIRC) with a 60’ time of 1.81, and that’s in a 7500 lb truck with a camper shell and spare tire! (point is, it was not stripped down, it drove to the track and ran, no big deal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) Banks broke a land speed record doing 222 in a Diesel Dodge that towed it’s own support trailer to the salt flats from So Cal. And I’m almost certain it didn’t run propane or nitrous. Diesels make some STUPID power for almost no effort…

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, and it works much like on a gasser. Basically, the "O" lets you pump in more fuel and burn it giving more power. Diesels also respond well to Propane, and some truly insane individual use both along with healthy drive train upgrades. Nitrous or Propane will help get rid of the black smoke associated with over fueling too.

But, most modern diesels don’t need that help to achieve spectacular results. A guy running a truck like mine with air filter and exhaust mods with a chip recently ran 12.61 @ 110 (IIRC) with a 60’ time of 1.81, and that’s in a 7500 lb truck with a camper shell and spare tire! (point is, it was not stripped down, it drove to the track and ran, no big deal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) Banks broke a land speed record doing 222 in a Diesel Dodge that towed it’s own support trailer to the salt flats from So Cal. And I’m almost certain it didn’t run propane or nitrous. Diesels make some STUPID power for almost no effort…

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Propane actually improves the burn efficency for the diesel, N2O like you said provides the O2 which lets you burn leaner and cooler or add more fuel and get more power.

Lots of people are starting to use both, but I think this is nice if you want to drag race it, but for towing or wheeling, all this is not needed.
    For wheeling, not much profit in Turbo or propane since you should be off idle or at idle.
    For towing, turbo + propane is great.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

One Trucks! episode he took a chevy duramax diesel and installed propane and nitrous.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I was just gonna say the same thing. I saw that trucks episode. Bully dog systems!!

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea the banks truck is what got me thinking. I thought maybe he could use that truck and throw no2 in it to go even faster.

Nick

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nitrous and diesel are a match made in heaven! Unlike a gasser, nitrous cannot blow up a diesel motor(under the right conditions) and if too much is pumped in it will only cause the block to cool down and lose power instead of sending a rod through the side of the block like on a gasser. It is used just like it is on the gasser basically but with better results. Propane only helps to ignite unburnt diesel...too much and it will self detonate before the diesel is injected in. Like said above, lots of guys are feeding the ISB cummins lots of diesel, nitrous, and a little propane. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Nitrous works makes a nitrous for diesels!