Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would Plexiglass/Speedglass work for the rear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 30, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just thought of it. This would be a lighter setup. Expensive? Would it work?

2. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

For the rear what?

3. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Lexan would be better. More expensive though. Call a plastic dealer. Don't buy it from a glass company. They will double the cost of it.

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

If you never plan on rolling it down it would work. The stock glass is curved and the plastic will not conform to the curve because there is not a full uninterupted guide track. That big of a peace of lexan, plexi, acrylic, or speedglass is really not going to be that much lighter

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used plexiglass on a 77 Blazer I had about 10 or 12 years ago. It was missing the rear glass when I got it and I had a piece of plexi lying around...
    It went up and down fine, but did scratch pretty easy. The weight saved was probably less than 10 lbs though. I eventually just bought a replacement rear window.

Rene

6. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

I had this same idea a few weeks ago, because my rear sliding windows are cracked. What if you could get some plexi or lexan windows with some kinda setup where you could just pop the whole window out? On the sides it seems like it could be recessed in the factory grooves and you could make some kinda latch/lock setup from the inside. Just a thought.
    keith

7. topless1tonk5

topless1tonk5 Registered Member

i have a lexan back window that pins in the cannel in the back, lightweight but expensive, my cage goes through it out to the spare tire carrier.

8. KBK5

KBK5 Registered Member

Have you got pics of how you diid the rear window? I am real interested in this.