Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would this be a good engine block...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 21, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, In the next few years, after I learn more, and make final descions, I'm going to be building a BB engine. I just have some Q's about some parts, and expect lots more questions in the near-distant future:

Is this a good block for lots of HP?:
    clicky

haha, so far thats all I've caught my eye on for the engine. I dont no much about building engines so Im learning before I actually do mine. What would a good Cam be to go along with that block? By the sounds of this one:( clickster ) It would be good for off-road, but would it be good with that block? Thanks, and please dont be to hard on me for I am not very smart in this area /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Steve

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

More info is needed....

If you are building a mild offroad BBC with low end grunt, I would say that block is overkill.

A high winding mud runner with lots of HP would make that a more reasonable decision....

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like Subfan said it all depends on what you plan on building. A standard block would be ok for a mild build. if you are building a radical motor this would be a great starting point. I run a merlin block except mine has the splayed caps. If you are building a 400-600 H.P motor find a good block and a good set of heads, I would go to a good crankshaft and a good set of rods. Take your time and do it right.........................Good luck p.s Check out Racing junk.com

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are building a 400-600 H.P motor find a good block and a good set of heads, I would go to a good crankshaft and a good set of rods. Take your time and do it right.........................Good luck p.s Check out Racing junk.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what im aiming for 400-600 HP. But I dont no what a good block, and a good head, and all that would be, that is why I was asking about that one. What block would you recommend then? Thanks

-Steve

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You can easily get 400+ HP out of a stock block. Search the want ads. You can find a complete 454 for less than $1000. Disassemble, clean, add a few goodies and you're there

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How much HP does a stock 454 have? And what goodies would I/should I to get the power up? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I think the once you venture into the 700hp range, you might want to investigate the Merlin or Dart block. But below that, just get a stock block (preferably a 4-bolt main). that has a std. bore still. The stock cranks are generally said to be good to about 500hp. So if you are going above that, get a foreged crank, some H-beam rods and all the goodies to go along with it. You sould keep your eye out for a Gen VI 454 block as they have 4-bolt mains, priority-main oiling systems, are setup for factory roller cam (so going to a roller cam is a lot cheaper than on older blocks) and they have a 1-piece rear-main seal. Also, GenVi block can accept ALL BBC heads, whereas Gen V and Mk. IV blocks are more generation specific in terms of what heads you can bolt on them. I have a Gen V blcok that I built up and I am VERY limited in terms of Stock BBC heads. MOST aftermarket heads will work on ALL BBC's though...

my plans for my BBC are as follows:

-Edelbrock 6049 heads
    -Comp 276HR roller cam
    -Eagle 4.25" stroke forged crank
    -Eagle ESP 6.385" h-beam rods
    -SRP 10:1 pistons
    -TotalSeal rings

That long block combo is good for MEGA Horsepower numbers. If you port and polish the heads further you can get up there even more...

Chris

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree with what the others have posted up above . It sounds like the Merlin BBC block will be serious over kill for your intended usage. It is a FINE piece but totally not needed in the relatively low HP range you are looking at . Spend the money that you would have spent on the block and buy some Merlin/World Products Heads and have them worked if it is in your budget.
    Find a production block and spend some money with a QUALITY/KNOWLEDGEABLE machine shop and you should have no problems with your short block living at those HP numbers.
    As far as your cam shaft question - spend some time calling your favorite cam company/grinder and ask about a aftermarket "Roller" set up , you'll be glad you did once you feel the power when you are done.
    Good luck , Tom

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree with most of whats been said already. The Merlin blocks are NICE, but overkill for most applications. If you can find a complete 454 to start with, thats better. Make sure you get pully's, brackets, and all other trim stuff. These can be a real PAIN to track down later. Even if you can only find a blown engine for 200.00 or so, It's worth it just for all the little stuff. You can still buy new blocks from GM. I don't know current pricing, But i was looking at building a 502. My local GM dealer could sell me a NEW gen VI 502 bare block for just under 700.00. Not a bad deal if you consider all the machine work to a used block to "freshin up"

I LOVE comp cams. I have delt with them for several years. Their 4x4 extreme cams are a great addition to their choices.
    BUT, In order to build a engine that going to do what you need it to. YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST with yourself as to what you really need. and set a good game plan to the build. Don't just buy parts that look cool. (or sound cool as in gear drives) These are often a waste of money and can be spent on parts that WILL make the engine last longer. A little pet peeve of mine is spending all the money on the flashy stuff and NOT getting an engine balanced!!!! Your just pissing your money away if you don't!!

I have used several 2 bolt 454 blocks for 400-500 hp engines. I have never lost one due to bottom end failure. Although a 4 bolt is stronger, They are also getting harder to find. I.M.O. a 2 bolt block, thats PROPERLY prepped, stressed relieved, balanced, and had billet main cap straps installed with good ARP studs, is as strong(if not stronger) than a STOCK 4 bolt main block. I have used this combo on several street engines running 600+ hp. (nitrous,blown, and just high compression) and NEVER had a failure due to main cap flex. But If you plan on going bigger HP, then go 4 bolt or 2 bolt block with splayed 4 bolt caps.

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

If I may, for the money you will get more horse power and torque, building a 500+ cid cadillac engine. Plus, this engine will run forever at these power levels. where as a BBC is unreliable at higher hp levels(above 600 hp) check out www.500cid.com the stuff just kicks butt. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif not to mention the BB caddy weighs less than a sbc engine /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif