Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would this be enough to pull?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moose73, Jun 1, 2003.

1. moose73

moose73 Registered Member

have a 76 blazer with 36's, wondering if a 1500 dodge extended cab four wheel drive would be enough to pull. im guessing truck and trailor to be 6500-7000pnds fully loaded.any comments.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

On the door sticker, there should be a block that will give you the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i dont think pulling would be a issue, but stoping might be /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Yeah trailer brakes are a MUST. I pull a 6000# boat trailer, and you KNOW when the brakes arent working

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I just pulled a stock 70 on a trailer that weighed about 2500lb with my 3/4 454 burb......It's a lot of weight and I wouldn't do it with a 1/2 ton. Trailer had brakes so that was not the issue it was just the shear weigh. I'm pretty sure you going ot be well over the GVWR for the Dodge. I was right at it on the Burb and My max GVWR with trailer and the gears I have is 16k.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

Yeh, my vote would have to be NO. thats just to much for a 1500. Sh!t me pulling the same rig with my 3500 SRW was a hand full, don't get me wrong my 3500 would do it all day but it sure let you know there was 7000 pounds behind ya. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with the others...don't think a 1/2 ton would do it(very well anyway). Trailer brakes are a must!!!

8. moose73

moose73 Registered Member

thanks for the input everyone. my gut said probably not but wanted to ask. a 1/2 ton would've got me a tow rig faster. ill hold out for 250 or 2500 diesel.

9. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

you know the towing max of a ford explorer (old style) is 8k not saying it's a good idea, but that's the factory max rating. i'm thinking a dodge 1500 with a 360 would do it, maybe not a 318 or v-6, but a 360 would. if the trailer has brakes and you don't need to go real fast or stop real fat then you should be ok. just follow a long way back, and stay at the speed limit. i've towed a 6.5k trailer with my dad's V-6 exploder, not easy, but the trailer had brakes so it could stop- also helped that the X has four wheel discs. just be careful.

my $0.02
    red

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I towed home a '77 1-ton Chevy pickup on a tandem axle car trailer with a Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 last fall. This particuliar 1500 Ram is about as heavy-duty for a 1/2 ton as you can get stock from Dodge. It had a 360, auto w/ big factory auxiliary cooler, 4.10 gears w/ stock tires, factory tow package (pre-wired for trailer brakes), and the heavier springs and shocks that come with the "Off-Road" package. I also had a weight distributing hitch w/ 750 lb. bars and trailer brakes.

It was no problem what so ever, plenty of power to get going and no problem stopping or handling. Here in Ohio there are no mountains to climb but I could maintain 55 mph on 2-lane state roads while going up mild inclines without downshifting from 3rd (had the O/D off). I did not get to try the freeway though.

I would not even consider doing this without the brakes and weight distributing hitch with the 1/2 ton. My biggest concern would be long-term longevity of the vehicle if you towed quite a bit.

If possible a 2500 or 3500 would obviously be better.