Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would this look bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Oct 18, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm thinking of getting some 33" BFG All Terrains for my 91. I already have a set of 12" wheels to use but I'm afraid the wheel may be too wide to look good. I know the tires will fit the rims but I'm afraid the tire will look stretched in the middle and narrow on top & bottom.

What do you guys think, too wide? Anybody got any pics of this tire/wheel combo?

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I have seen this done and IMHO it looks ridiculous. The rims looks way too wide for that tire. I would try and trade someone for a set of 10's or 8's. Sorry, I don't have any pics. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I run 10" wide rims with my 33x12.5's. And, I agree that 12" would look a little weird. Also, don't forget that if you stretch out to 12", you might lose some height.

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

IF you want to get rid of your 12's I might be interested. PM me. I need something to put 44's on.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. nvrenuf

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I tell ya this is killing me! I really want to use the wheels because they're brand new Weld's that I've been sitting on for a LONG time (I really like them so I don't want to get rid of them either). I really would like to use them on my daily driver but not at the expense of looking stupid. I also don't want to go bigger on the tires because I will tow with this truck.

What to do...what to do...

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Super swamper makes a 33x14.50/15 in the SSR series that would look good on a 15x12 rim /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gifI would consider these if you are after the wide look--which it sounds like you are if you paid for brand new Welds /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

7. nvrenuf

I do want the wide look but I would like to stay with an all terrain tire for the benefit of tread life (hopefully this truck will see very little "use"). You're right the price tag on the wheels hurt, that's why they're still new in the box - I just never could bring myself to put them in the mud.

Are the SSR's comparable to an A/T tire with respect to tread life? What about noise?

This is funny, I'm listening to myself whine about tread life and tire noise while my other truck is at the pinnacle of those very issues and I would never think about complaining or changing it. QUICK! Somebody call me a Waaambulance! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Well I wouldn't say they are along the same lines as a BFG AT, but they are one of the more tammer ones. As far as tread life goes, I really don't know. The noise level is alot quiter than a regular TSL, but is still very noticeable.

Another tire you could consider is the Dick Cepek Radial F-C--I'm pretty sure it comes in a 33x14.50 as well, but I think it's pretty expense.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Interco makes the Trxus STS in a 33x13.5 also. Still a bit skinny for a 12" rim, but it would certainly look better than the 12.5" BFG.</font color>

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I did that before but it was a goodyear.
    It depends on the tread area, and how you want to drive it.
    Mine actually looked good and they rode very well but never had the off road or below 32PSI.
    I have never use BFG's so I don't know but I did try the same setup with some cheap Korean brand and it didn't look good, thr treat was 8" instead of 11"

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are these Welds 15" or 16.5" rims? What series are they?

I've got a set of 16.5" x 12" Welds in my shed, sitting there. Just waiting someday for the 38" Radial Swampers I wanna get for them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here is a 12.5" tire on a 12" rim [image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1770[/image]

Here is a 12.5" tire on a 10" rim [image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1778[/image]

The rims had the same backspacing which made the 12" rims rub like hell. They would rub on flat ground and w/o being turned fully.

13. thatK30guy

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1770[/image]

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1778[/image]

See if those work now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. thatK30guy

WTF?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Didn't work either!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

16. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

17. nvrenuf

Wes, the wheels are 16.5 x 12 "D7" Weld's. They are a directional pattern discontinued by Weld about 6 or 7 years ago. I bought them right when they were being dicontinued so finding a set of 2 rights and 2 lefts was tough but I found them, did I mention the were unused and still inthe box? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I may step up in tire size just a little so I can have a nice looking set up on my crew cab.

18. nvrenuf

Thanks for the pics Rob (and thanks to jc71355 for posting them). I noticed you have the BFG Trail T/A's, these are different than the actual BGF All Terrain's aren't they? The look a little more round at the shoulder of the tread than the All Terrains, this may be more like I want. Thanks!

BTW, one of these days we've got to meet up at Jones Swamp again! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. thatK30guy

I remember those style of Welds. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I also remember a style called "Mach 7" (or some number like that), and they have been discontinued, too.

If you ever decide you can't or don't want to use these rims, send me a PM. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They do have more of a rounded edge than the A/T, but I don't think they make the Trail T/a's anymore. They do make a Long Trail T/A, it doesn't look anything like an offroad tire IMO. The other thing besides the rubbing is the tire wearing out in the middle faster.

I really haven't had the truck offroad since March /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I know they usually have a big run at Jone's for New Years, maybe then?