Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would this wokr ok?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 1, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im looking for a cheap fix for my 84 blazer..the reare floor bourds and tailpan need to be replaced very badly..there IS NO tailpan left lol..and i need something solid to bolt my tailgate to.and i knwo blazers are just liek the beds of pickup truck in the back..so could i take part of a pickup box(80's chevy) caught part ,liek half of it of..form middle to back..and put the back of that on my blazer. would this work and fit ok?

thanx-Bryan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is ne easy way to fix rust...if it is easy it won't last. (think bondo and fibreglass...) As for the pickup rear half the floor part could be made to work, but the tailpan area would be quite different. Even if it was the same it would still be a tough job.
    If you're going to fix it you might as well get the floor section and tailpan from GM or LMC and fix it right...

Rene

3. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

Send a pm to mpascino. He helped me with mine and he is in the process of competely remaking his bed. It's coming out real nice.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

k ill try that thanx..

Bryan

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

grafting the 2 together would not be much of a problem. After all, that's how most people bob their beds. Cut a section out and weld it back up.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..i think thats the way im going to go...my dad can help me..has a torch...and this would be a H*LL of a lot cheaper than going and spending 400 bucks for a whole new rear!!

Bryan-later

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I would NOT use a torch. You're talking 20 ga or thinner metal, it'll warp to no end. Use a sawzall, cutoff wheel or jig saw if you want it to look good. Also when you weld it back together, just go a little bit at a time and allow it time to cool.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

And maybe not that much cheaper. You'll have a lot of labor into it. And as rene said, check the tailpans and tail gate recession to make sure it's the same or if it'd even work.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

AAHHH ok gotcha!!

thanx-Bryan

10. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

TORCH! Remember to take the gas tank out first. As far as the tail pan piece goes, I got mine from JC whitney (I think around $150??) I replaced the floor from the tail pan to the middle of the wheel wells with a piece of flat sheet metal I cut to fit, roughly between 1/8" or 1/16" thickness, cant remember exactly what gauge it was.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lolol yes i will rememeber that!..yea i was looknig at the tailpans at whitney to..they go for 130..just go to www.jcwhitney.com ...you can find it al lthere..pretty pricy though.. i added it up and it was a little over 400 bucks to get all the replacment peices for the whole floor!!...think im goin to weld some tubular steel in there..get it to the right position..and so the tailgate opens and closes right..and yea..put some sheet medal in there..nothing fancy..but should do the job and make it safe! lol

Bryan-later

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im not sure on this cuase I DONT EVEN HAVE ONE ahah...but is the tailpan a tubuler peice of steel that goes right under the very back of the rear floor..or is it like an L shaped peice of medal pan type thing that goes under..cuase i need something to put in to it for replacement and i want something that will work right..

thanx-Bryan