Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would this work as a good rock light?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Aug 1, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

2. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have some flashlights with bright led's and they cost alot more then that and I dont think they would be that great for a rock light. Where would you mount them?

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I think they would be sweet. I got some ricer fog lamps that I mounted to the frame rail pointing down and forward towards the front axle. Need to get another set for the rear.

Me and my bud just put some Harbor Freight specials (4) on his CJ7 and they work great, nice and bright :D

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Ya might end up with a real bright spot and no real illumination. Don't know all the terms but a flood light is a little better in that situation.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i thought about that, i thougt about cross pointing them, like point the left rear at the front right tire.... there just cheep and look bright enough to light up everything

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Agreed that floods would work better for rock lights than spot lights would.

But, looking at the photo of the LED's I honestly can't see how those could actually be called a "spot light" like the seller advertised them as. What method is there to concentrate the beam of light from the bulbs? None that I can see. Even looking at the pic with the light lit up.. it looks like the light is all over the place.. not in a spot like they should be if they were a true spot light. I see the coned housing behind the bulbs.. but usually the housing is around the bulb w/ the bulb set back inside of it. These seem set too far out to get any use from it..

LED's are/can be pretty bright, and it's poss that these could to the trick.. but some el cheapos could too and probably better in the long run.

7. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i use cheap napa rubber mounted tractor lights. they are like $7 each and a flood light. i dont see spendin much on rock lights that may get hit by a rock or something. i also built a screan for mine so pebbles from the highway dont hit the lens

balzer

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Don't forget, You are bidding English pounds so roughly double the price of product and shipping. :crazy:

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm not entirely sure but I believe LED's throw a huge majority of their light directly out the front which makes them appear very bright when you look at them. Read that somewhere. Just something about how they are made that does it. That's why they don't have much of a reflector behind them.

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I know what you're saying, and agree for the most part. But, the fire engine at my station uses mostly LED's for it's emergency lights, as well as the interior lighting. The emergency lights are bright, very bright .. but a true spot light has a very focused beam to project it far, yet still very tight, to hold the "spot". I just can't see that LED bulb doing that in that configuration.

Looking at the number of bulbs in that cluster, it would probably be bright enough for the distance (IE from the underside of the truck, to the ground) but the a housing/socket would have to be made/bought, and over-all a cheapo flood light would be a lot less hassle, and ensure that the quality of light is enough for the need.