Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would you be brave enough...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Aug 11, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok,

I'm kinda thinking about having Lyon's Designs make me up some small ck5 stickers to go in the side windows in the topper.

My question is the following; would you dare put your username on the side of your k5, or do you think at some point it may get you in trouble??? (you never know what somebody might do with something like that)

it would be something like ColoradoK5.com - SoloWookie

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I've been thinking of the same thing ........ I don't think it would be a big deal but you have to decide for yourself !!

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think it would be cool.....people who saw you on the street would be able to contact you.

On the flip side....once they found your profile, they would also know about your new front Dana 60, your custom stereo install, the fact that you just got your new 37" TSLs installed, etc. Might set you up for some serious theft. So I guess it depends on where you park the K5 (on the street, vs secure) and whether there is an alarm to protect it.

All things considered, I think I'd put a username on the side of mine. Just a neat way to meet new enthusiasts, and to spread the word about the ColoradoK5 site! [​IMG]

-Greg72

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I've been thinking about that too.... you know there's that directory list that was made up... we can list our names, addys and phone numbers. Anyone who wants to log onto the site can access it, then find your user name which they saw on your rig and match it to your info.... I signed up for it and now am thinking I might go back and ask to have some of the stuff removed or changed. I mean I don't care if you guys know that info... but I don't want some punk who thinks my Blazer looks good getting that info and calling me up to find I am out and then heading over to strip my rig clean as my stupid neighbors do nothing.... been there done that, wasn't fun! The chances of that happening are slim, but hey you never know with some people what they will do to rip someone off....

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My user name here as well as POR and my AOL name are all Pureinsanity. It is also the name of my Blazer, so I guess I would be rather screwed, in all angles, to try to go in stealth mode now!! LOL!!!

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

6. solowookie

theft really isn't a problem unless I was traveling or something...

I was raised leaving the keys in my vehicles, and leaving the houses unlocked even if we were away for a week. there have never been a theft here like that.

as far as traveling is concerned I'll definately have a nice alarm in this with something that will enable and disable the fuel pump... etc. (I've got too much invested)

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Actually, Jeff, some of the members of the message boards have already had me make username stickers for them. Rocko, and tRusty, and StoneyK5 are a few who have them.

Jeff427
    <a target="_blank" href=http://muddog.off-road.ws>Mud Dog Off Road Club</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design Web Site</a>

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I personally think it would be fine. I really doubt someone is gonna scope out your name on the internet and try and figure out what you have to steal... If he has an interest he'll follow you to work or home and he already knows what you have on your truck that interests them. I'd say go for it... ain't gonna allow no one to strip your rig anymore then if you had no sticker at all.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

9. solowookie

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I personally think it would be fine. I really doubt someone is gonna scope out your name on the internet and try and figure out what you have to steal... If he has an interest he'll follow you to work or home and he already knows what you have on your truck that interests them. I'd say go for it... ain't gonna allow no one to strip your rig anymore then if you had no sticker at all.

<hr></blockquote>

actually you make a really good point, but it is not theft that concerns me as much as being malicious online. I used to work around a LOT of hackers, and those guys could be ruthless if somebody just looked at them wrong. I wouldn't want to give somebody like that a way to get any online info driving down the street.

I was wondering what people thought in regards to any situation that could potentially arise, and not just theft.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Rocko(hope he doesn't mind) already beat ya to it. I saw a "Rocko" sticker on his K5 last weekend. I thought it was a cool idea [​IMG]

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well Jeff was generous enough to send me a small decal with my user name on it as well as the missing 'K5' that peeled off my window.

I would have had it on my truck but this one isn't long for this world and I haven't decided where to put it yet...[​IMG]

I wish i did have it on there on Friday, I was on my way home from California, towing the 74 Blazer I picked up from Talldogg (thanks dude!!!) when this nut in a dark green Vette starts driving really wierd, slowing down in the left lane etc...
    As I got along side of this character he starts yelling something, then I heard him yell "ColoradoK5????"...[​IMG]
    I pulled over to the side of the road and it was Dave (96C4&amp;91K5) so we chatted for a few minutes. It turns out he was on his way to his sister's wedding and just happened to pass me...

Anyways, he wasn't sure who i was and of course I didn't have my tRusty decal on yet. It was pretty cool to meet another CK5 brother in the middle of nowhere though! BTW Dave seems like a really cool guy, and he has a damned nice Corvette!![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by tRustyK5 on 08/11/01 11:55 PM.</FONT></P>

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Rene that is way kool that you have been chased down by a fellow CK5 er! I am not overly worried about "problems" being connected to my Blazer and the net w/ the same name. But I also live in a small town and will rarely take road trips in my rig. As much as Id like to, gas and Swamper mileage, will keep road trips in it to a minimum. But ya never know, maybe I will.

On a positive note, when it comes to being at a CK5 meet or something it will be a lot easier to ID eachother w/ our names on our rigs, so that is a good thing.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Jeff sent me a "Rocko" sticker for my truck.. I put it on the windshield lower.. between the wiper blades..
    It was awesome to be at the "Slab" this month.. and everyone recognized my name on my truck..
    Do it.. !!!!

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rene,
    I had to ask cuz I couldn't believe my luck. All the incriminating evidence told me clear who it was and I still couldn't believe it!!!

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It
    91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG] Of all the places to run into someone from here...
    My wife was asking me later, "Who the hell was that?"[​IMG][​IMG]
    It was very cool to meet you, even in such an odd place. So how was your sisters wedding?

BTW that is a very nice Vette you have![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

16. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My sister's weeding was awesome - she married a local cop that I knew from HS. We now ride motorcycles together - good friends now and I was in the wedding.

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It
    91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

17. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I was totally thinking about that too. About a month ago I ran into a guy with a sweet '75 at the McDonald's parking lot in downtown San Jose, I started talking to him after I noticed the ORD shackle flip and he seemed pretty cool, I was late for class and had to go and I forgot to introduce myself. So I was thinking of putting my user name on my truck under the CK5 sticker so others would know who I am if they ran into me.
    My truck is pretty secure with an alarm, a couple kill switches and thanks to Laura, a motion detector inside the cab, and (my wife thinks) overly insured.
    When I get it out on the road again I will have MaxCrack on it right under ColoradoK5.com

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.