Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you beef up a D44 ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence I'll have to run a D44 up front for over a year till I'll be able to afford a D60, would you get the alloy axle shafts ??? I'll be turning some 38x15.50x16.5 Ground Hawg radials on 16.5x12 rims. What else can I do to beef up a D44 ??? If everything holds up, I may just stay D44.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Would you ??

are you locking it up? i ran a 44 for a year and a half, and i was semi hard on it, nothing compared to how hard i am on my 60, but at the time i thought i was beating on it pretty good, and i never busted it, the front driveshaft got thrown about 8 feet away from my truck one time, and i didnt bust one part in the 44 so i would say yes, as long as you dont lock it up, and be cautiuos with the throttle

oh yea, i was running 38 Tsl radials

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I wasn't planning on a locker for the front. I think a Detroit Locker in the 14 bolt FF out back will be good enough. I'm just going to be exploring trails and using my K5 for my off road camping trips. I'm really starting to think if I beef up the D44, it might survive what I do. Whats your opinions ??? What all can be done to beef up a Dana 44 ???

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

CroMo shafts, CTM joints,

but mine did fine without either of those, if you are just exploring the hills, what do you think your are going to run into? Ruts, some rocky hills, and some mud? if your not rock crawling, or trying drag race through mud, i think it will do just fine. Just remember, the farther the wheels are turned, the more stress on the u joint.

another example of a 44 holding up, about a year ago, i was wheelin with a club, and a guy was running 44 gumbos, on a 3/4 ton, he got on the gas pretty heavy, and he never broke it, Not to say its a good idea to run 44's and a heavy foot, but his held up,

another guy on that same trip, had his tire wedged in a rock, and just kept trying to power over it, SNAP. the u joint and the ears of the shafts let go, now if he wouldve backed down a little bit, and Bumped over it (like i was telling him) his axle would prolly not have given in so easily.... Its all in how you drive, to a certain extent,

i would say Dont put a dime into it, if it busts, you can always drive home and then either Get the 60, or start beefin up the 44.

5. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I went ahead and put to much money into my d44, but its holding up well, warn shafts, detroit, and spicer u-joints. I broke two of the greasable joints. Havent been able to break a non grease able one. I didnt think they were all that much stronger. So far i like mine. Im also running 38 boggers. Im not to easy on the throttle either. Just ask POOHBAIR he will vouche for me.

6. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Chrome moly shalfs and u-joints are good suggestions, but I think you ought to upgrade the carrier too. I was always spitting spider gears out of mine and I known someone who spilt traclock cases. Strong carriers are the powerlock, detiot locker, or a spool. Powerlocks are the most expensive, while the spool will the cheapest. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Anyway, after you do your upgrades, the ring and pinion becames the next weakest link.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I beefed up my D44. Warn shafts, Warn premium hubs, Spicer non greasable joints (CTMs weren't out at the time), and a limited slip primarily for the benefit of the full case carrier. I broke u-joints, 2 Warn shafts, and 2 ring gears. Others have had better luck, and to be honest I don't think that driving fire roads to camping spots is going to tax your 44. However, if you want to go to a 60 anyways then just run the 44 stock and carry spare parts. </font>

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The trails I like are more in the lines of old minning trails from back in the days of the 1880's gold rush here in the Black Hills. Wish I could find a fire road that'd take me out to my favorit fishin' and camping spots, LOL. I also do like to play in the mud !!! GET THEM WHEELS SPININ' !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. moore82

moore82 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifI welded my axle and welded straps on it because everytime I would go to a pull computition, I would snap the axle. I have snaped 3 axles so far.
    But I run 40" ground hawgs.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

How about lock out fuses? Are they available for the D44? Cheaper than any of the axles, joints and other stuff and a much quicker fix. Just a suggestion.