Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you buy a classic car with an R Title?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dad wants to sell his 1969 Firebird. Its a pretty pristine car as far as rust and body condition(needs a paint job), but it has a salvage title. He bought it from a salvage company after the car was abandoned on the side of some city street. Anyway, would you buy a car like that for something more than 4k? Hes always said he wants 5 for it when people come looking and with a clear title I'd put it on Ebay for like 6 but I'm not sure about the title situation.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would, but I'm not a collecter concerned about resale value.

3. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I don't see a problem. These clasic cars are hard to come by. I bought a 1966 mustang with a salvaged title, because I couldn't beat the price. If the numbers match or you want to customize the car, it doesn't matter.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah, numbers match, its stripped down model but has A/C and dealer install tape deck, so it could be an interesting resto project. But I'm gonna include the 400 Pontiac motor and the built Muncie M21 will probably go with it too. Dad is 40 something and works all the time, he wants to sell it and buy something someone else built already.

5. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

I've owned a classic or 2 and been around the show guys. I don't know why anybody would care on a classic car. It sure wouldn't slow me down. usually check stuff over with a fine tooth comb first anyway.

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    If you are planning on buying it for you to keep and use as a driver and not doing it as an investment to resell I say get it!!

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not looking to buy, its sitting in the driveway right now ;). Dad wants to sell his.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i assume the R is for rebuilt, will be permanently marked as such,
    but if its a 69 bird and fixable and can get it for good deal, then hmm..

good luck

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

R is just what some people say, its a salvage title. Dad bought it from a junkyard or repo place or something like that. It can be titled back to a basically normal clean title, just take a bit of paperwork.

10. 84mudmachine

I wish I had the $$ to buy it and park it next to the mustang.................

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if he doesn't sell it it will be parked next to my sisters mustang ;)

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Salvage title lives with the title (vin) once it has been salvaged it's aways salvaged. So Insurance companies will not insure a salvaged vehicle, or raise their rates. Liability in selling a salvaged car is high too, make sure he has the buyer take all liability (in writing) when purchasing the vehicle (cover your father in the future).

If you've heard of a way to change a salvage title to a clear title let me know! Or are you talking about a Bonded Title?

13. 84mudmachine

Do you have any pics, I might be interested in buying it.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Only picture I have. I will take a bunch of pictures whenever I got home the end of March. Its a beautiful car, I love it and want to buy it but I can't and I'd rather see my Dad get a car and start getting into cars again. 350 Pontiac motor that doesn't run(wires rotted away since the car has sat for many years), Muncie M21 4 speed, stock 10 bolt rear, like I said 400 Pontiac motor to go with it, also the stock Borg Warner 3 speed trans will go with it(if you care to resto it to stock), the only rust on the car is very minor surface from sitting so many years and a hole below the battery tray(stupid acid). Its just a 2 barrel 350 with manual brakes, drums all around, but has power steering and A/C, which on a 69 I think is a pretty rare option. Dad will probably include the spare front clip (grill and headlight area). No damage or anything he just got it cause he spotted a nasty 69 Firebird in the junkyard that had a good one, just figured hoarding parts was a good idea ;). He still has the factory manual and some other stuff, I believe including the build sheet. There is a box of stuff, the manual and all are old and worn and pages missing but I think its cool. Didn't want to turn this into a for sale post but yeah. If you really are interested, PM me.
    [​IMG]

15. 84mudmachine

If you don't have to sell it, don't. I'm interested, but since I'm in Kansas, that would be a very long trip or expensive hual( I'm dreaming anyway). You should buy it off your dad and store it until you have the money to fix it up. In a few years when you have money, you will kick yourself for not keeping the car.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You are probably right about the kicking myself thing, I don't know, I'll talk to to Dad about puting a down payment maybe then him holding it for me. I'd really like to see the old man get a car though.

17. 84mudmachine

Do you mean, get a car to work on?

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he wants to buy a car thats pretty much ready to go. I could see him getting something that just needed a motor, he and I can put a smallblock together no problem. My dream for the 69 was an LS1 and 6 speed swap :D