Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would You Buy an Axle Truss?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have the ability (JD2 Bender) to make some axle truses (over the top of the axle) out of 2" .120 wall tube. I was thinking from over the diff to going down just short of the leaf spring mount and then two legs straight to the diff, one on either side of the main housing. This would be a weld in deal only. If you have seen the 2" square one on my K5 (this was before I got the bender /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) You have an idea on what it would look like. Anybody be interested in these for like $75.00 plus shipping?

I may also build some other things upon request.

Depdog

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

one thing i'm interested in is, i'm fix'n to build some rock sliders like grims but i would like some rails that extend off the side to help provide side body protection (kinda like yours) could you bend up some tube for something like that /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Depdog

Yep, sure can. What kind of bends do you want?

Depdog

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

How about a rear upper shock mount similar to that found on Project UAV?

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'm leaning towards a set like yours but out of tube. i'll give ya hollar in month or so. (as soon as the wife lets me buy my miller 175) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Need a test truck? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I been thinking about building one for mine just like you described. I would be interested in one.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Do you have a preliminary design in mind for a D44 or D60 front?

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gonna make trusses for just ff14b rears or D60 fronts to? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

9. jekbrown

if I was 1-ton and trussed... i wouldnt mind jumping my rig on sand dunes and crap, lol!

J

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

My thoughts exactly! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I would own the local tough truck races. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if you would make one for a 14bolt SF i'd be interested. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif and if i could get one made for a 10 bolt front, i'd be happy. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif what does yours look like so i can get an idea? do they look like the MOO ones?

12. Depdog

I have not thought about the front truss's only rears. I can make them for any rear axle. Wont matter if its 12 bolt, 10 bolt, Dana 60, 14 bolt full or semi floater.

On the rear shock mounts, where do you think he got the idea from? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I can make one of those too. Would you want just the weld in bar, or the shock mounting pieces as well. I use 2" square tube and cut one side off it to make it a C shape. Drilled a hole in it and used a pair of stock rear shock mounting bolts. The bolts I dont have. Everything else I do, you would have to let me know how far apart you want the mounts welded, or I could just include them and you could weld them where you want. How about $50 bucks on the three pieces. Bent up tube and the pair of shock mounting pieces. I have some ideas in mind on the rear shock mounts, just have to test them out first.

Depdog

13. Depdog

Since I dont think I made this clear, this would be a weld on truss, I dont have the parts to make it bolt on.

Depdog

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

How come no one makes them for a rockwell?
    this seems like an untapped market

15. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

*Opens mouth widely and slowly inserts foot.* /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Sorry, I had no idea. Anyways that sounds like a good deal to me for the three pieces. I am still trying to get my 14-bolt slung under my truck so I really don't have a good idea on how far apart I want my mounts welded yet. I am open to suggestions, though. I am not in a HUGE rush for the shock system as I still need to purchase some new rolling stock, but I do want a setup.

16. jekbrown

no front trusses? bummer! if an axle is going to get tweaked 'cause I jump my rig, its prolly gonna be the front one. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I could put one of the ff14b i guess... but its already tough as hell, and there is no weight on the rear end compared to the front so it'd sorta be like overkill in the rear end and not enuff up front.

J

17. Depdog

I did'nt say NO front truss's just that I have not even looked at making one right now. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Gonna be tight trying to fit one on top in the front.

Depdog

18. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

I was wondering about something ?, do you think the .120" wall is strong enough for being a axle truss ? I assume the material is 2" square and that in it self will offer some strength but if you can imagine the force it takes to brake a axle, will these truss's be able to handle a braking axle and prevent it ? I know that the truss's "ADD" strength to the axle but for the time, effort and expence wouldn't .250" (1/4") be worth it ? I don't mean to pee in your Cheerios, I'm only asking since I don't know what a typical axle truss is made from. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. jekbrown

yeah fitting on top of a front axle would be a pain... definitely require lots of measuring, fiddling, and engineering. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

20. Depdog

I was talking .120 wall round tube and the truss is to reinfore the axle. The one I have on mine now is 1/4 wall 2" square tube (did not have the bender then) With the .120 wall tube and welded on, I think you would bend a flange on an axle, or maybe the end of the axle housing just the other side of the spring pad. The tube tied into the axles tubes would give strength through triangulation.

Depdog