Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would you buy this trailer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 23, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I found a trailer that might work for me and was wondering what you trailer-gurus thought of it. Guy says it has 5500 pound-rated axles, and LED lighting... just one pic to look at. Click on it to see the fullsize pic...

[​IMG]

The heaviest/biggest thing it would ever haul is my K5 truggy (5000-5500#s?). I plan on building a single seat toy buggy at some point, that'd be np... way light. At any rate, what do you guys think?

btw, guy wants less than $1k for it. Tow rig would be my '75 C25 w/ 454/th400.

j

ps: admins, feel free to kick this over to the tow/trailer forum if necessary... I posted here cause I need responses quick! If the guy is available, I'll prolly go look at it tomorow...

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

In good condition I'd definitely jump on that, a decent shape used with those specs goes for $1500+ here easy.

3. jekbrown

yeah, I haven't seen 'em cheap very often at all... especially when they are that wide. He didn't give me an exact measurement, but it looks like there is about a foot on either side of the rig sittin on it...

j

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

dunno if it matters, but looking at the pics, unless there was some extensive metal work, it almost appears like the frame of the thing is only as wide as the inside of the tires, and the wood decking is unsupported outside of that. With the one pic, it is hard to tell, but looking how the area around the tires is cut out, and the area up near the tongue, it just seems like a lot of the decking is unsupported.

Either way, I like the approach to the wheels...no worries about them ever rubbing, nor fenders to worry about bumping with a rig as you load it.

5. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't forget GVWR includes the weight of the trailer too . I'm guessing it weighs 1500-1600lbs . That means you can carry 4000 lbs . check and see what the registration says . It looks like it's atleast 16ft long . Also make sure it's not over 8ft wide . Let us know when you know more .

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So, are you saying EACH axle is 5500lb rated or TOTAL of the Three axles can carry 5500lbs? (I don't like to assume anything:D !) Make sure there are enough cross members, especially if its rated at 16500lbs, and that ALL welds are clean.

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So, are you saying EACH axle is 5500lb rated or TOTAL of the Three axles can carry 5500lbs? (I don't like to assume anything:D !) Make sure there's enough cross members, especially if its rated at 16500lbs, and that ALL welds are neat and clean. If all is well, it looks like a nice find.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So, are you saying EACH axle is 5500lb rated or TOTAL of the Three axles can carry 5500lbs? (I don't like to assume anything:D !) Make sure there's enough cross members, especially if its rated at 16500lbs, and that ALL welds are neat and clean. If all is well, it looks like a nice find.

9. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So, are you saying EACH axle is 5500lb rated or TOTAL of the Three axles can carry 5500lbs? (I don't like to assume anything:D !)

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So, are you saying EACH axle is 5500lb rated or TOTAL of the Three axles can carry 5500lbs? (I don't like to assume anything:D !)

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So, are you saying EACH axle is 5500lb rated or TOTAL of the Three axles can carry 5500lbs (I don't like to assume anything!)?

13. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So, are you saying EACH axle is 5500lb rated or TOTAL of the Three axles can carry 5500lbs (I don't like to assume anything!)?

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

15. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

holy 5 posts in a row, batman!

16. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

well its 9 here in GA!!! :D

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Really hard to say for sure, but in the pic it looks like those could be mobile home axles. If they are, I'd pass.

18. jekbrown

AFAIK they are 5500 each. I thought about the mobil home axle thing too... dunno if they are or not.. impossible to tell in the pic..

j

19. jekbrown

got more info. The guy says the axles use regular 6 lug wheels (a plus!) and that 2 of the three have brakes. I got another pic also...

[​IMG]

it looks like the edges aren't supported that well, but I could always cut/weld some C-channel and/or tube to beef it up. The thing looks like it has lots of supports that stick out from the main part of the trailer frame, I'd just need to tie the ends of those together better... maybe add bent-tube drive-over fenders for the wheels.

what say you guys? Main knock on pirate seems to be that the brake linings don't last very long... but apparently the brake stuff can be replaced by common dexter trailer axle parts so you have normal trailer brakes.

Like I said before... under $1k... good deal?

j

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno if I'd put my truck on that thing, and I don't see the logic in you doing it either. You spend thousands of dollars, more hours and busted knuckles than you can count on the K5 build...then you consider driving it onto that POS? Being frugal is one thing, but in this case I think you're blinded by the price and aren't seeing what everyone else is.

Above everything else a trailer needs to be safe, and from what I see that thing is a deathtrap.

My 2 cents...

Rene