Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you buy this truck for $1k?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 20, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinking about this truck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=4512288384&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Item number 4512288384 if the linky no worky...

It's fairly close to me, so I'm going to try to go check it out later today or tonight. I talked to the seller already, and it sounds like a pretty good truck. My uncle had one, I should call him to see what failed on his truck, I know at least the idler arm was completely shot after ten years.

I *really* don't have $1k to spend on a truck, especially this season and especially with my wife breathing down my neck about our driveway not being done...But my brother's taking back his car after christmas to use on his base instead of his brand new car (I sold my commuter car and have been using his), and I have really needed an open-top cargo vehicle about 100 times in the last 6 months. I wo'nt bid without seeing it first, though, too hard to come by $1k right now to fool around with it...

Anyone's thoughts? Would you hit it or pass?

2. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

pass

I would pass, If you need a vehicle buy one from someone you know or a friend of a friend, relative, priest, pope or something, It would suck to spend money on a piece of crappolla, especially if money is hard to come by.:xmas:

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks like a great deal for a second vehicle :waytogo: You arent going to get a road worthy full size truck for any less than that. Like you said, check it out in person though.....

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

you said you were close enough to go and take a look at it, but i would think that it would be hard to get any kind of running truck up there for 1k without a lot of rust on it, granted that does have some but it is to be expected in your part of the country. a truck is hard to beat just to have to haul something with, as you said you have needed it several times in the past, mileage on those trucks is a big variable depending on gearing, engine condition, and such but it is hard to haul them loads in a geo metro :D

i say go for it :xmas:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, thanks for the tips.
    The owner (his dad actually) called me back while I was walking, so I couldn't write anything down and asked him to email me info like his phone number, but he still hasn't. He told me about how to get where the truck is, so I'll email him again, and if I don't get a response (I'm using my unreliable hotmail account), I'll try to drive over there if I get home at a decent hour one night this week. I don't *think* I'd be intruding terribly since he told me where it is, I'd hope he wouldn't be surprised to see me.

I've always kinda felt that a vehicle lands on Ebay for only a few reasons;
    -It won't sell locally for what the seller wants (my normal reason for ebaying vehicles)
    -There's something drastically wrong with it that can be temporarily hidden until after someone else already owns it (meaning they can sell it without a buyer kicking the tires)
    -They need the cash or want the sale to be over and done quickly or in a set time period. I'm hoping that's what this one is, he said they got a 4wd bronco and need to get rid of this truck now.

So cool, thanks for the reposnses. I'll let you guys know if it works out.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If it runs and drives good it is a fairly good deal, I would buy it.

I have thought about selling one of my trucks on ebay instead of the local Trader Paper for a couple reasons: Because it will sell to the highest bidder and I don't have to deal with half a million people wanting to drive it and then make some ridiculous offer (which wastes my time), because it is free for people to shop on ebay whereas the trader costs $1.25 a week to buy, and ebay lets people worldwide see my truck instead of just Southern Illinois. I used to buy the trader paper every week, but now I only shop on ebay.

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    If it checks out, I'd grab it quick. My buddy had one like that and it ran forever.

Good luck, hope it's not a pile. :xmas:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

before i got my 91, i had a 93 C1500. great truck, traded it off at 220,000 mi because the trans went bad. in those 220,000 mi, the valve covers were never even pulled, and it still ran like brand new. i'd snatch it up for that price.