Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you buy this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Apr 29, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a daily driver and I found this truck at a local place here that buys and repairs wrecked vehicles and then resales them. It is a '99 1/2 ton chevy with 6" RCD suspension, it has 74k miles on it. The thing about it is it was a theft recovery, plus it looks like it may have been used fairly hard or was beat bad when it was stollen cuz it has desert pinstriping down both sides of the truck and has dents here and there. They put some black steelies on it and 36x13.50r15 irok's on it now so it looks alot better than in the pic, I guess the wheels and tires that were on it were taken when it was stollen. Oh and what kind of gas millage do the 5.3's usually get?
    http://www.ckauto.com/

2. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

The link doesnt go right to the truck so just scroll down on the list of vehicles to the left, it is all the way at the bottom under trucks.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

it has IFS.. so no, I wouldn't buy it.

j

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

NO I don't like IFS :mad:

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

For a DD I'd go with IFS in a heartbeat. It's obviously not as strong as a LA, but if you're not driving it on 4+ trails and you are logging a lot of pavement miles then it's a better ride.

Given the history I would have a front end shop give it a thorough looking over b4 buying it.

6. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

For a DD, it would be great, plus you've got the option of converting the front axle to a LA in the future, if you'ld like. The newer body stlyes looking awesome with LA front axles, and perform really well with them. It just needs more tire to fill those fender wells. $8900 might be a little high unless it's spotless, remeber it's a theft recovery so something is probably screwed up somewhere be sure to look over it well in person depending on what you decide. Good Luck. Like they said above IFS sucks off the pavement in comparison to Live Axles.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

personally for a DD id buy something else.. better on gas and stuff and keep the beater for the gas guzzlin horrible ride... oh wait I have one of them :laugh:

8. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

I like it, nice DD

9. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I realize that the IFS is weak and bad off-road but this would be a DD, I have my K5 for off roading. This would actually be only the second IFS truck I have ever had! I know I should buy a stock truck for a DD but im just addicted to modified vehicles :D , And i have never owned a car or any 2wheel drive vehicle for that matter and my last 3 trucks have all been lifted so the gas millage wont be a shock really, I was just wondering what to expect from it, my last truck was a lifted v10 super duty so its gotta be better than that! As far as the condition of the truck, its a little rough, paint scratched, dents here and there, all that sort of stuff. The guy said when they got it the tranny was out but they put a new one in that they had so that should be cool. I dont know maybe its a bad idea but its a really cool looking truck for what i thought was a good price?

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its up to you, I don't even like IFS on street rigs... maybe thats just me.

j

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Most of the people here will say no because its IFS. I say yes, go for it. It seems pretty in expensive with low milage (assuming its correct, if it hasnt been changed it will be higher). IFS isnt THAT bad, and like you said, its for a daily driver.

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I had an 89 Z-71 a while back and for a street truck it was great. It didn't ride a thing like the Blazer, did really well in the snow and was a good hauler. If I get this job that I interview for in a couple of weeks (fingers and toes seriously crossed), there's a very good chance that we'll buy another IFS for Jenn and I'll prolly hop in the lowered down Honda.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I hear of 17 being the high side for 5.3's on stock trucks. That would probably get 10 to 12.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I kind of like cars for a daily driver. Under "All ready to go" I like the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and under "General Motors" I like the 1997 Pontiac FIREBIRD TA . If they fix that 2004 Oldsmobile ALERO GL 2DR that'd be one I'd take a long hard look at.

15. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Just a thought

Ask your insurance company what they will insure it for, because they may only insure it for only half the appraised value. If you total it you may only get 25-50% of what you think its worth. Don't be surprised if they make you take it into the local dealer and verify if the airbags are in good working order. I watched someone find out the hard way about values after they bought the vehicle and couldn't get it insured for what was owned against it. Repairables can be a great deal or they can screw you worse than a drunk hooker wanting to kill her pimp.
    George