Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would YOU Buy-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

A Dodge D60 with 4.10's for 500 bucks? I know this mopar clown that revealed to me today that he has 4(!) of these (fronts) just lying around, and will part with em for 500 bones. All disc brakes, from mid 80's Dodge 1 tons. I know this has been covered a thousand times...but no problems with the Dodge D60 in the front resulting from the spring pad differences?

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

well ... umm .. YES!! I'd buy one.. so far as any other issues, I dont know. MJ would be a good source of info for that swap.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you don't buy them, I'll take one!!

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I would take one too, if it weren't so far away...

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

That's the bummer part for other CK5ers. I'd have the hookup, but very few are close to me which generally kills the deal. If anyone is interested in one though, let me know and I will see what I can do! 2 or 3 left-one of my buddies called dibs on one, but he is wavering-so 2 for sure.

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Dodge frames are narrower than Chevy so you will need to move the spring perches. You should also change the spindle and hubs to Chevy parts as the Dodge unit uses a MUCH weaker bearing design, this is severly pronounced on the D44, but also present in the D60. They use a different brake setup than Chevy, the dodges have a hardline running across the axle with a single soft line running from the prop. valve. There is a splitter bolted to the axle itself on top of the diff. A friend and I are doing the reverse this weekend, putting chevy axles under a dodge.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Dodge frames are narrower than Chevy so you will need to move the spring perches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely correct...........at least two local PNW guys are running Dodge D60's without the spring perches moved. Hard, well, probably impossible to move the passenger side since it's cast into the unit too. Seems someone said there is offset bushing sets available to correct the width difference, but to my knowledge, neither guy (mudhog and silver84k5) used them, just spread the springs a bit............seems to work, mudhogs been on for quite a while with no issues.

Also check with m j on this subject...............

8. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I have a Dodge Dana 70. The spring perches are a little wider, maybe 3/4" but no more than that. I used a high lift to spread the springs while I bolted it up. I keep a close eye on the parts involved. So far I have had no problems.

9. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

when i got my chevy 60, it was missing a hub,roter and lockout's. friend of mine had a set of dodge hub's roter's so iwas going to put them on. was checking around for lockout's and the dodge one's where $450.00 compared to chevy's $150.00. so just bought a chevy hub and roter.
    and the dodge will bolt up. as said above just pull spring's apart a little.
    friend of mine is running a dodge 60 in his k5, has been working well for 6 year's. he did put chevy hub's and roter's on tho.

dave