Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you do it again

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Muley, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

With the recent gas prices here and the fact the diesel has not been going up, knock on wood.

If you had the chance to go back and do your gas to diesel swap over, would you? Or would you just sell the gaser rig and get that is already a deisel?

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Since I'm busier than ever, if I were to do it again, I would just buy a complete diesel rig ready to jump into and drive. I've done a couple of gas to diesel conversions, but it takes time and money. Neither of which is great supply these days! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Of course the question of whether to go gas or diesel is a no-brainer! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Casey

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With the recent gas prices here and the fact the diesel has not been going up, knock on wood.

If you had the chance to go back and do your gas to diesel swap over, would you? Or would you just sell the gaser rig and get that is already a deisel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it depends, Gas to diesel is not the question, but wether I buy or swap, I just bought a TD sub and I am converting my crew cab to diesel, so I am doing both, because I did have an engine laying around and a donor truck.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Diesel rules /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If I had a dead stock K5 I probably would have sold it and bought a diesel Blazer...but I had too many other madifications done so a swap was the 'best' option for me.

The other wild card is the condition of the rest of the truck...even though it's more work, and probably a bit more money, at least swapping a diesel into what you have is dealing with the 'devil you know'. I know the exact condition of my truck down to the last nut and bolt...buying another truck can sometimes be a crap shoot depending on how well it was taken care of.

Rene

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Rene makes an excellent point. One of the reasons I converted my '81 is that I had been over the whole mechanics of it from front to rear. I knew every inch of it. I already had the truck and the diesel engine, so it didn't take much to decide about whether to do it or not.

Now, after the diesel swap, overdrive tranny swap, paint job, tires and wheels, etc., etc., I don't every want to get rid of it. Now I want a 4WD. I won't ever find what I'm looking for, a 6.2L 3/4 ton 4WD in the 81-87 body style with an overdrive tranny. I won't find one because they didn't make them. I could find one with a swapped-in tranny, but it probably won't be in as good of shape as my '81. I could buy a non-overdrive truck and swap in an OD tranny, but that's a lot of work too. So, it looks like converting to 4WD is in my future!

If I had a truck I wasn't totally attached to, then I would probably just go buy a diesel rig and start modifying that one.

If I had a truck I couldn't bear to part with, well, as Paul Harvey would say it, "now you know the rest of the story!"

Casey

6. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys, I guess at this point I just need to hope the gas prices will start to drop off as the funds are not their for a swap. Just out of curiosity what kind of money would I be looking to do a swap?

Bad thing is for me that I am a semi-perfectionist, and I would want everything to look as close to stock as possible. So one question is, what did you do about the glow plug light? did you just swap in a dash from a diesel, or did you just not worry about.

Thx again for all the advice.

7. tRustyK5

I used an entire donor truck to do my swap. I swapped most of the wiring while I was at it, including the entire engine bay harness, plus the underdash harness. I also robbed all the non AC stuff and the gauge pod so I'd get the correct GP light, "Diesel fuel only" fuel gauge etc etc.

If I didn't mention the truck was an 81 that originally came with a 305 (long time ago...) I'd defy you to be able to tell the 6.2 was swapped in. It looks 100% stock.

Rene

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I didn't use a donor truck, but I highly recommend that you do. I just an engine from the salvage yard, and had to piece the whole system together. It's all the diesel-specific parts that nickel and dime you to death, like brackets, radiator, throttle cable, etc.

Over the years I too swapped in a diesel dash, so I have the factory glow-plug light and "diesel fuel only" fuel guage. Mine looks pretty close to factory, other than the vacuum assisted brake pod on the firewall. Only a die-hard GM diesel guy would notice it wasn't factory. Since it's an '81 model, it looks just like the '82 models, when the 6.2L was first introduced.

The best thing about getting a donor truck, is that you can put your gasser in it and sell it as a complete running truck and get some of your money back out of it.

It's hard to say how much a swap would cost. Mine, including rebuilding the engine and getting a 700R4 probably came in around $1500 or so back in '96. If you find a running engine, you could do it for a lot less.

Casey

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advise guys. So, Rene, once I get the parts, when are you free to do the swap for me, I mean help me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I think a donor vwhicle would be the way to go also. Rene, since you had everything there with the donor, how much time do you figure you have into the swap. Just making your rig a diesel and getting all functional and reliable.

10. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Rene, since you had everything there with the donor, how much time do you figure you have into the swap. Just making your rig a diesel and getting all functional and reliable?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I worked hard I could probably do the swap in 2 weekends...which is considerably less than what it actually took me at the time. First of all I had another vehicle to drive so I wasn't in a panic. Secondly my buddy and I worked on it together and frankly we don't work all that hard on our trucks. Drink a beer, tinker for a while, have another beer, tinker etc etc. Lastly I did quite a few other things at the same time...anti-wrap bar, D60 front, frame repair, new front clip and core support, cleaned, resealed and painted the tranny and T-case.

Oh yeah, the Monday following the weekend my 350 got yanked and traded for the 6.2 I was laid off from my job...so the whole odreal was done on a total shoestring budget as I could afford stuff.

Read my reply to Grim Reaper, there are more details in that post that might help you too.

Rene