Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you guys buy these?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by franco802, Sep 13, 2005.

1. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

Ebay item number 7998648042.

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

heres the link: clicky

i wouldnt buy them because i wheel my truck and they wouldnt match either. what does your truck look like? if you like them then get em.

3. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

I have an 86' K5 Blazer with 69K original miles. I go off roading twice a month. I was just looking for some extra lighting for night driving. I don't care for the blue crap bulbs, just want the housing so I can use the newer style bulbs.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Mother ****er that page opens slow on dial up... :mad: I finally gave up.

I did at least see this lovely tad of unknown info..

Sooo... they'll work on my 89 4 headlight system then... :p:

NOT.

As for getting them or not.. hey, if they throw light better than a stock set up, I'm all for it.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Actually, they're the square ones, so they won't work on the 73-80's or whenever the round ones stopped :haha:

-- A

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, theres nothing like a seller who really knows his product, or it's applications.

7. Mammoth2

Mammoth2 Registered Member

No.................................................................................................

8. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I do have a set in my K5, I driver it daily and like the extra light that is emitted. I ended up burning up the factory headlight harness, so if you do get them spend the $$ for an upgraded harness.

[​IMG]

9. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Hell NO, they won't fit a 89-92 Blazer and also look at the 14.00 shipping/handeling cost!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

the blue tinted headlights are simply that - tinted

and the tinting actually filters out some of the light . . . or so i have heard.

they are very different from the hid lighting systems which incorporate a ballast and a different kind of bulb.

these just make it "look" like you have the fancy hid lighting system.

my two cents

11. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

The tinting you see is what is called a city light, simply a blue 194 buld that is wired to parking lights. They are by no means HID's but are much brighter than halogen lights.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I do like the idea of more light on the road. And I have upgraded headlight in other apps(94 Probe GT with same housings).... But not sure I would go with a lower quality housing like these.. I went with Bosch E code housings in the Probe and loved them! Have thought about something liek this since they are cheaper and if a branch took them out, it wouldn't be much of a loss..

If you go this route, find a good bulb, it makes a difference! A good Sylvania, Osram, etc..... PIAA are good but dont seem to last as long.

13. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Wow those are very ricey...Opps, I mean pricey. :haha: :haha: :haha:

14. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've used a set of round H4 conversion bulbs off of Ebay. Mine came with an extra socket for a H3 fog light in the lower section. Using GE H4 bulbs with my wiring converted to use Relays for more power to the lights, these things are 3 times as bright as the stock wiring with even halogen bulbs. Throw in my 100w H3's in the fogs and I can throw the light waaaay down the road.

Mine cost $30 off of Ebay, the bulbs cost me $20 for the pair at wally world and I've got $15-20 in the parts needed to add the relays into the headlight circuits. Here's a shot with the H4's on LOW:

[​IMG]

Here is one comparing the Halogen (on the pass side) to the H4 (on the driver's side) With relay's in the system:
    [​IMG]

Even if you don't want to convert to the H4 style housings (not all are clear ricer types) I would suggest at least adding relays in on the high and low beam circuits. Before mine I was getting 11.5 to 12v at the bulbs with the engine running. After, I get 14.2v at the bulb and output voltage from the alternator is 14.4v. 2volts makes a hell of a difference on how bright a halogen bulb lights up. After I added the relays (but before the H4's) I compared my lights to my buddy's 78 with stock wiring and similar halogen bulbs. My lights on LOW beam still were brighter than his on High beams. It makes a dramatic difference.

I like my H4 setup because I have the fogs that are integral so I don't have a set of auxillary lights bolted to the bumper for some dope to try and rip off and they are out of the way, stealthy...

15. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you used the 55w60w bulbs you should not have had a problem with the stock wiring. However Many ebay sellers with those bulbs sell them with higher than stock wattage bulbs. Yes the light is brighter, but the load on the circuit is greater too. Add that to the factory wiring that has a Huge voltage drop from the fuse to the switch then the dimmer and then to the lights and you have a recipe for a cooked circuit.

If one plans on using higher wattage bulbs I would suggest using relays to take the load off the stock wiring (all it does is control the relays when they are installed) and use heavy gauge wiring for the load side of the relays and then to the lights.

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Just have to remember with ebay pricing that people sell things at a lower cost to save on the high ebay fees, and then charge more on the shipping/handling because they are not charged anything on that money. Its just a trick to get around high fee's that ebay charges, you just have to add up the two and see if it is less or more than someone else before you buy...it really isn't that difficult :D