Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you guys buy this? (If you had a $14000 limit and needed 4 door sport

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Oct 3, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Tahoe Picture

Moderaters, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong area but I want to get some feed back.

I'm on a limited buget and I can't seem to find anything in my price range that is decent. I need 4 doors and something I can put my dog in the back off. I want a full size, no mid size stuff. A few months ago I almost bought another Tahoe but decided not too. Now I definately need too. Family is growing.

I've eliminated Expeditions (too much body roll. I get car sick), and the only other thing is a Grand Cherokee which may be too small. I haven't driven one yet. I can find those for about the same price ($14,000) with aroud 50-60000 miles but I'm not sure about those yet. I don't know anyone who owns one.

What do you guys think? Tahoe with High miles or Grand Cherokee with alot less miles and a V6 (V8's are have too high milage or are out of price range).

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'd go Tahoe or an older Suburban.........Heeps are too small when you have kids, dog, go camping, etc.

3. I think 14K is a little much for that year of Tahoe. I have seen a few around here that were 96-98 going from $6,500 to $14,000.

4. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Re: Would you guys buy this? (If you had a $14000 limit and needed 4 door s

I wish they were that cheap here. Here everyone has larger families so the full size stuff is going for a higher price. I've looked all around and that is the lower end. Some are a little cheaper but have the same or higher miles. By the time you add the lift and tires/rims you have spent more.

I'll try looking out of state to see what is available. That sounds like a good idea.

5. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

that doesn't seem like a bad deal. Tahoe's here are also more expensive. That year would have an LT1 in it. Great motor. I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage, but may consider purchasing an ext. warranty.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I see much better prices here, I would suggest you do look in other states, try close states where you can fly in and drive it back, just give yourself a month or 2 don't rush. I am sure you will get something better for under your budget.
    My friend just got a 96 Sub 4x4 for 12k.
    IceMan

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I would recommend getting an older Burb and getting it professionally redone. My in-laws neighbor got his interior and exterior (frame off even) completely re-done for less than $5k. You could pick up a clunker, get a crate engine, and get it fixed up for less than 14k..

8. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I have been looking for a cheaper one over the last 6 month. There are 5 that are cheaper right now. A Dark Blue/tan one with 95,000 miles and leather. It is going for $10,900 so I am definately going to check it out more. It has the stock rims wich I hate and the tires are somewhat warn. I'm not sure what new tires and rims will add to that though. I'm pretty sure the 2"lift is fairly cheap. Might end up close to the same cost as the red one.

The other ones are all green wich I don't like exept for a sweet 2 door that has nice rims. Only if I were looking for a 2 door. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for the posts. If only I could grow money!! Of course I would probably go broke paying the water bill.LOL

9. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a newer vehicle because I'm already driving an old one. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I want something that rides nice, is nicer/newer and somewhat quiet.

I also need something I can park in my garage and the burbans won't fit. It snows here and you also get a lot of morning frost. Sure is nice just to keep it in the garage and drive out. Besides that my Insurance company gives about a $20 discount per month if the vehicle is parked inside.

I've seen some sweet restored rigs but that's not what I'm looking for right now but that is a good idea.

10. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Well, I checked AutoTrader through the whole country and the cheapest one I could find for a 96 -98 was $10900. There were 19 pages with 30 Tahoes on each page (570) , selling for $13000-14000. I limited the search to $14,000. All with 75,000 plus miles. Most were 90,000 miles and above.

Sounds like this one is right in the ballpark for this year and milage. The ones back east were closer to the $13000 and the ones in the west closer to $14000. The cheapest was the blue one I mentioned above. It is here in UT. I will look at it too.

I wish they were cheaper. I'll take a serious look at this one. I really like the rims, tires, and color. Hopefully this one will have decent gears. If not I'll probably avoid it. I'll have to copy the codes and hopefully it will be listed. If I get it I'll probably take off the pinstripe.

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciated the input and the idea to look out of state.

I'll let you know what happens. It has probably sold already /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but if so I will just keep looking.

11. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I finally ended up with a Tahoe or Yukon as GM calls it. The red one looked pretty but the interior was kind of hammered. I ended up looking and found a black 96 with 92,000 miles for $11,499. It has leather, limited slip, 3:73's in the gears and it doesn't have that stupid electornic transfer case shifter. All manual. I bought it Friday.

It's in great shape and has some American Racing rims on it and brand new 285/75/16 tires. The tires didn't rub on the street but as soon as I took it down a little dirt road they rubbed. I put a 2" body lift on it yesterday. I went with a 2" to allow the kids to get in and out. Probably would look better wth a 3" lift.

Anyway thanks for your help guys. I didn't believe I could find one this cheap like many of you said I could. You saved me $2000.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif