Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you guys hate me if....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Dec 7, 2005.

?

Waddya think about starting a 'Yota project?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2006.
  1. You are a disgrace to CK5 and should be banished.

29.2%
  2. I secretly envy you...and at least it wasn't a Jeep.

25.0%
  3. I'm nekkid and you should know that by now.

45.8%
  1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just bought a '84 Toyota X-cab frame?

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Not me. At least you got something to wrench on. I don't, can't work so I can't get something to wrench on, and won't be working till summer, so I envy you a little.

Only question I got is is it a stick or an auto?

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Wheres the "I already have a Toyota" option on the poll? Are you still looking for a cab, or are you thinking of building a Formula Toy?

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

What about a cab? Going to go for a formula toy? Or just find a cab later down the road?

I had a 84 ex cab toy right before I got my blazer. Found out it had a bad motor and ended up parting it out before I was ever able to wheel it. Sold the tranny and the next day took the tranny money and bought the blazer shell. In a way still wish I would of been able to keep it and either keep the stock toy axles or go with full widths. Sometimes I dont like being so wide.

5. mikey_d05

Well, the sale is officially still pending but he's supposed to send me pics and if it's relatively clean I'm gonna pick it up over x-mas break.

I'm gonna swap all my chevy stuff over, so it's gonna have the same drivetrain combo (Inu - it'll have my current 700r4) that I do now with a few tweaks. Springs will probably be 44044's front and chevy 63's rear until I have the balls and the skills to set up a 4 link in back. That probably won't be for a while though since my welding is pretty rusty and this is gonna be a budget thing for now.

I'm still looking for a cab and possibly a front clip. I don't have the skills to do a Formula Toy justice even if I had the budget. Besides, I kinda want to keep a passenger compartment on this one because I've already backed out of one snow run this year because I lost my driver's door. I do need to dig a title up as well so hopefully I can find a cab with one.

My plan for now is to find a spot to store whatever is left of the K5 after I strip it so I can come back to it for those miscellaneous parts when I need them, clean the Toy chassis up and make it into a roller, and set the cab wherever it needs to go based on clearance.

Frankly, I'm in over my head on this one. But, I always love a challenge and besides, my dad hasn't written me out of his will yet so I'm doing my best. :haha:
    This kinda kills my plan for a nice tow rig but I can find an older truck that'll do the job or just continue "borrowing" the Ford until it's offered to me at a decent price. (assuming it stops killing turbo's every 12,000 miles)

Joez - If there's anything you know about Toy's that would come in handy before I start tearing into one I'd definitely appreciate the info man.

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Okay then I guess this is not going to be your own "Project Clampy" from 4WOR isn't it? It having a Chevy drivetrain's probably going to keep the ones who'd have branded you a 'traitor' at bay too! :haha:

Little bit of an off-question, but when getting a title for patchwork projects like this, I wonder what the DMV in most states use to define the vehicle? The frame or the cab? I'm guessing the frame. And hopefully they won't care about the non-factory drivetrain either.

7. mikey_d05

I've just been informed the frame has a title. (I don't know whether it's clear or salvage) But, that means it won't match the cab VIN when I find one. This might get interesting. Hopefully it's a clear title and I can just waltz into the DMV and transfer it.

Also, the leaves and such are hopefully a temporary stage. I'm gonna try and get it running as quickly as I can after I strip the K5 but I'll probably link it and a bunch of other stuff eventually.

...and my checkbook was just starting to look good...

Oh yeah, and Inu, a lot of the Chevy guys I know already hate the idea because it's gonna be on a Toy frame...and a lot of the Toy die hards don't like it because it's got a Chevy drivetrain. Let 'em think what they want, I just wanna wheel. :D

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

What will it matter, after you crawl over their vehicle and steal their woman. :haha:

I doubt anyone here seriously cares, I'd like to see a write-up though. That way you can be a tool too. :D

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

If it has a drivetrain dont be so quick to throw it away. Sell off the motor and trans from both it and your blazer, stick a 4.3/4l60e and run dual toy cases and i bet you could come out pretty even money wise. If it doesnt have a drivetrain, sell your motor trans and t-case and stick in a 4.3/4l60e(or 700R4 if thats what you want) and run dual toy cases. Are you going full width or keeping the toy axles?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If the brand purists give ya any trouble, pray to Jesus for their souls. Too bad GM couldn't pull their heads out and give us a frame straight from the factory like Toyota did........................

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I like this idea. 4.3's a great under-credited motor, IMO.

Someone local to me is selling a 205HP 4.3 with a 4l60e for around $700. Actually, they're selling an S10, but that's just packaging for the motor...

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

All about the W code

13. mikey_d05

Ok, I think maybe I should restate my intentions and what this deal actually invovles.

This is going to be a trail only toy (not meant to be a pun) to replace the K5 I have now. It is going to have my 350/700/241 and D60 14bff. The only thing I'm buying from this guy is the frame. No suspension, axles, or drivetrain. The reason I plan on swapping my current setup over is because of cost and I kinda like the combo I have now. A clocked 241 is a damn good case. A TBI 350 isn't all that powerful but I've got it, it's fuel injected, and it's reliable. It's also very buildable if (when) I want to upgrade in the future and I can get a wiring harness for it that only requires 3 wires to make it run. My 700 is honestly not gonna last very long with the way I drive. However, I like the deep first and the fact that it has OD. I'm also a college student so if it doesn't break and it would cost more than $100 to upgrade, it's gonna stay the way it is for now.

Eventually, when time and money permits. It'll probably get back halved and linked.

While I love the 4.3 idea, the fact that I have a donor vehicle that runs extremely well and only has about 40k on the rebuilt motor plays a big role in this decision. Also, if I put in my big dumb small block now, it would be relatively straight forward to go to an aluminum SBC in the future.

Joez - I've heard some gossip about people breaking outputs on Toy cases when they put a decent size 6 in front of a dual case setup...I haven't done very much research on this setup...any idea whether it's true or BS? I'd really like to discuss more of this with you since I know you've been into 'Yotas for a while. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Edit: 40% of you think I should be banished? Wow, have fun with your steering box frame cracks. :p:

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So, uhh... what's your reason for using the toy frame and cab?

15. mikey_d05

Rust and size. My K5's tub is on the verge of falling apart, the hood is the only decent piece left on the entire thing. The frame is also going to hell at an alarming rate. If it wasn't for frame flex I'd have half the suspension travel. :crazy: Also, body damage is more of a neccesity than a choice on some of the trails around here with a fullsize. If the body were smaller like a Toy's it'd be a ton easier to get around and I wouldn't smash so many panels into submission.

16. mikey_d05

I just shared the info with one of my wheeling buddies back home and he seriously doesn't want to wheel with me anymore. :rolleyes:

People are morons.

17. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

It's the same guy:haha: If you know what I mean...pm.... I'm keeping what I'm up to, to myself, they'd prolly stone me...:whistle: :ignore:

18. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

19. mikey_d05

Stomper and I were co-conspiring on buying a vehicle for parts. It turned out that we were talking to the same guy and very well could have ended up in a bidding war if we wouldn't have realized it earlier.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I like your plan. :thumb:

I'd pursue something similar if I had the time/money/space.