Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you like a roll cage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gold Rush, May 7, 2000.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I've been wanting to install a good roll cage and haven't found any bolt ins for a reasonable price. Yesterday I went to the local steel & recycling yard and bought 1.5" ID / 1.9" OD pipe that the local racers use on stock car roll cages. It cost about $1.80 per foot. With tax I spent $36 for 2-8', 1-5'and 2-4' pieces and 2-4"X6" 11 gauge flat pieces. Exhaust pros said they could bend the pipe with their machine so off I went. I told them how I wanted it to look and they bent the pipes. Only cost me $15 for bending them. A friend helped me measure and spot weld the pipes together. Since we had no way of notching the tubes I used a grinder. I took it out and welded it all up and then painted it. This morning I put it back in and welded it to my factory roll bar and then welded the 4"X6" bottom plates to the floor that I have reinforced with 2 layers of 14 gauge steel ( replaced floorboards and then added another layer to make strong enough for roll cage). I have about 8 hours and $54 dollars ($36 for pipe, $15 for bending, $3 for primer and paint) in this project that just might save my life someday. I will be extending my cage to the rear area in the next week or two so I'll post results then also. I was unable to take a picture today so I'll take one tommorrow if the weather is good and post it.

David 75K5

[​IMG]
    http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

2. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Post some pics goofy top guy! Sounds good!

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

That sounds great. Money is the only reason I don't have a cage on my '73, now I won't have an excuse. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by Gold Rush

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by Gold Rush

6. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Re: another pic of cage

NICE JOB! I like it, Rush!

Blazin' in Flagstaff

7. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

8. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

9. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

That looks great! Very resourceful of you. I am putting one of those in mine. DO you have any kind of plans drawn up, or what? I can't weld at all, so I wll have to give as much info to guy as possible. I am checking to see if my local community college is teaching welding this summer, but I want a cage now! I know first hand that such a thing will save your life! [​IMG]

10. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Plans

Sorry we didn't keep track of where the bends were and at what angles. The manager at Exhaust Pro's was very knowledgable and bent the tubes by sight for the most part. You might have luck with your local Exhaust Pro's, they may even weld it in for a decent price for you.

Good luck,
    David 75K5

[​IMG]
    http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush