Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Would you mind participating in a sway-bar survey please?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Jan 25, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm looking to move my front axle forward, and I was wondering about the sway-bar. It seems from what my search has revealed a lot of people run without a sway-bar. I'd never even contemplated doing this, so this is like a whole new revelation.

Anyways, I'm wondering how many run with or without the sway-bar.

Any thoughts or opinions also.

2. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I haven't touched my sway bar, I have a 4in lift and 33s on my K10 and I like how it corners for my daily driver. but i've heard from many they dont mind running with out sway bar at all.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mine has been gone for over 3 years. I don't miss it at all. The body rolled a decent amount with soft 2.5" springs that I used to run but now with 4" springs it is a non-issue for me.

I would never even consider putting one back on my truck. Disconnects are to much of a hassle. I used to have them and they were a PITA. I sold them and gave my swaybar away.

Harley

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

23 lbs of junk IMO. Mine's been gone 3 years or more...

Rene

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I put a lift on my truck right when I got it. I threw the sway bar away then. I'm nekkid too! :D

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Best thing I ever took off my truck :)
    Ditch it

7. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

me too

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

X2.

Take it off a week, I bet you don't put it back on.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Dump it or come up with a creative use for it, somewhere besides your truck.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i dont mind unhooking my discos, i think they are trick. i have 3" EZ rides and its a little scary on mountain roads without it. i've even kept the rear swaybar the PO put on there. takes me about 6 minutes to undo all four corners. unless i had a stiff as hell suspension or drove like a grampa i would never remove them completly. all depends on your setup and driving style.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

by the way if your planning on moving the axle forward and keeping the stock style steering linkage its gonna suck off road. your draglink will be super short. IMO you need to convert to crossover to be able to move it forward. i know i want to do this as well, but i gotta wait til i can afford the crossover.

12. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I did not run the sway bar on my 91 blazer. With 12" of lift I got the wrong drop bracket and never tried to find the right one. On my 90 burb with the 12" of lift I went with crossover steering so I had to remove the sway bay because they are in the way. In both trucks I did not feel any difference in performance from being unhooked.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mines on b/c I still use the Burb to haul stuf and drive more on the street than the trail. I am going to get disconnects over the summer.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'm one of those anal retentive types that would notice it missing driving to work . The project truck will be much lighter and not driven everywhere and I won't miss it there however :k5: :k5:

15. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

What sway bar................................................................just don't drive like a teenager with a wrx.

16. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I voted No sway-bar because I plan on taking it off very soon. Maybe today.

I never thought of removing it, but it does make sense for us. I'll give a brief description of what a sway bar does by going into a bit of my BMW knowledge.

So, the sway bar connects your body to your suspension. The bigger, thicker bar you have, the more your body moves with the suspension and the less it moves to gravity (called body-roll). On a BMW a big sway bar is good. BMW's have big heavy bodies, but are the best cars when it comes to cornering, second only to a Porsche. The more body-roll you have the less cornering ability you have at high-speeds because the body of the car wants to keep going straight due to inertia. So the body physically "rolls" towards the outside of the corner.

Now, I ask you, how fast do you take corners in your fullsize chevy that only has a top speed of 85mph to begin with? We want articulation in our trucks and if your suspension is connected to the body, it limits that articulation. So, reasonably, as long as you don't take corners at high speeds you should be fine. You may feel your body moving a bit more than normal, which could take some getting used to. But your chances of rolling your truck haven't really increased very much.

Lesson over, now as homework everybody go home and take off your sway-bar! :D

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'm going with the ORD disconnects but I like a tight nose on the street. In the end it will just depend on your personal taste.

Like everyone else here advised already, try it for a few days with no bar and see what you think. You'll never know for sure until you test it firsthand.

18. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No sway bar but adjustable rate shocks to help limit body roll.

19. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

My rig doesnt see the pavement with the exception of driving to the trail head so I checked it.

20. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Chucking the sway bar is the next thing on my list of things to do :grin: