Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

would you? or is it the norm to?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Jul 29, 2003.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

cut the rivits on the spring hangers in the front and replace them with grade 8 bolts? Was thinking of doing the cross member and a few other areas under there.

I hear a poping sound when turning the wheels from full right to full left but dont feel it in the steering and noticed a gap between the frame and the front spring hanger.

I would cut 1 at a time and replace with a bolt before moving on so I dont screw up any alinment. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have also thought of doing this. I would like to here imput on this too.

Sorry for the highjack /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I cant see any reason to do this unless something is broken. I also think if your mounts are screwed up there may be other issues you need to deal with to find out what started the problems and fix them while you are at it.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, it will work. Yes it is a good idea. Yes, a lot of people have done it. It is very common for these frames to loosen up over time (crossmembers and spring hangers), especially the ones that have led a hard life of being flexed a lot. Replacing the rivets with grade 8 bolts (use lock washers) will tighten it right back up. You are not going to screw up your alignment no matter how you do it.

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    find out what started the problems and fix them while you are at it

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll save you the research. What started the problem was when GM installed the rivits to save time and money when they assembled the frame. Just because that's the way it came from the factory doesn't mean it's the best way. Is it strong enough? Let's see ... soft rivits replaced by hard steel /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Tough call. Take a look at ORD shackle flip, you're replacing the rivits with grade 8 bolts. As long as you use washers on both sides and tighten the nuts down securely using pinch lock nuts or the like, I don't see how you could go wrong. Little by little I'm going to go through my frame and replace all the rivits and see how much it stiffens the frame up.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What started the problem was when GM installed the rivits to save time and money when they assembled the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking the problem was a frame that is too weak and flexes too easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The blazer frame is the weakest one produced by GM in a 4x4 truck. A frame that is built to stay rigid when you flex and leave all the flexing to your springs would be a better solution than just putting in bolts.

I have never seen a problem with rivits coming out or frames loosening up but the only trucks I have wheeled hard or beat the piss out of were K30's (my dad's '78 dually or uncle sam's M1008's).

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 77 k-20 has a lot of bolts in the front of the frame where the spring shackles were riveted on,also at the front crossmember,its been welded too,previous owner must have gotten a mig welder for christmas.If you hear snapping and clicking noises be sure to thouroghly check the frame behind the steering box for cracks,they are noted for cracking there especially if you have large tires and rims.I even had a 2wd crack the frame there,and it was a "grandpa's"truck too,never abused!.I see lots of loose rivets on blazers and k-10-30 trucks on the lift at my friends alignment shop,mostly in the front of the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

my blazer has that same popping noise /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif..took me a long time to figure it out...its my leaf springs moving side to side when i turn the wheel ..have a friend turn the wheel and you hold the leaf spring youll feel the pop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif,actually if you just watch it closely you can see it..

9. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

My leaf springs make that same popping noise when I turn the wheel. They are Tuff Country 6 in EZ Rides. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the noise? It's really annoying me.

10. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Thats odd, my tuff country 6" dont make any popping noise. check your bolts. Like already stated have someone turn the wheel back and forth and go look at everything, if it is popping you should be able to see/hear things moving.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I forgot to mention we also see a lot of front leaf springs that have "opened up"where the front bushing goes,making the bushing flop loosely in the eye of the spring,we always look here first when customers complain of a wandering ride,hard to keep it in straight line or darting one way to the other.This occurs mostly to stock springs--have seen them crack at the bushing hole too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifThe older K5's had a spring shackle stop behind the swinging shackle on the drivers side to prevent excessive travel from doing this,but since its not on the later ones its effectiveness is debatable.Also see sheared center bolts on the trucks that have been plowed or mudded with fairly often too---one owner tried adjusting his dragink to re-center his steering wheel--he noticed he had to do it several times in a week to keep it straight,and he said it was steering poor and was all over the road--we found his draglink was screwed into the sleeve only about a half inch on one end,and the sleeve was starting to fold in half! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--Fixed the center bolt and new sleeve,he said it was like a brand new truck again.Glad I wasnt driving near him ! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif