Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WOULD YOU ...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Nov 24, 2002.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

PAY $2500 for an unknown condition looks complete , says low miles thats it > 6.2 with th400 and np208 out of a hummvee ?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

They wont tell you any more than that? I would try to find out if it starts. But for the price its not too bad. Thats the exact setup I have and I can tell you it is strong. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

You can buy an entire K5 with 6.2 diesel for that. Mine was $1700, WITH 3/4 ton axles under it. My buddy's was $1400, all stock.

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

For that much I wouldnt buy it for that much unless you can see it run!

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well first off HMMWVs didn't use the NP208. They used the NP218 and later the NP242. Some of the earlier models have been retrofitted with the NP242 because the NP218 is no longer available through normal supply channels.

A couple of easy ID points on a 6.2 HMMWV motor: low profile open plenum intake, tubular exhaust manifolds left side dumps down - right side dumps straight back, no vacume pump speed signal generator instead, large multi-prong thermo switch (glow plug controller) mounted in the coolant crossover, glowplugs will have a round connector (instead of a spade) and fuel solenoid, HPCA, fast idle will all be Mil-Spec black rubber wire w/"cannon" plugs (no GM "weather packs") /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

so its probly out of a cucv then huh ? would i not want one out of a hummveee ? cept for the exhaust ? should i make an offer on just the engine , if so how much they are on pallets so i guess i wont be able to see it run . /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Being a CUCV means that the fuel solenoid, HPCA, fast idle, & glow plugs were 12V (as opposed to the HMMWVs 24V). Alot of the CUCV glow plugs were (are) crap, plan on replacing them.

If you knew it's lineage it would be easier to decide. I've seen M1009s (blazer) with lots of hard miles on them. On the same note, right now I have SIX M1031 Contact Maintenance Trucks(built 1986), in my motor pool, each with less than 7500 miles on them! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CUCVs were procured from '84-87 (AFAIK) mostly 85-86. So the lack some of the block improvements of the later years. The good news is the CUCV was never subject to the Army's Oil analysis program so it got regular oil changes. HMMWVs must wait for the OK from the oil lab before it's changed. (And I don't believe much the oil lab says /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Assuming $400-$500 for a TH400, another $200 for a NP208 (maybe somebody wants one), that still leaves $1800 for the motor; alittle steep - sight unseen. Are there any warranty/garantees? Sure would help if you could pull a head off. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i thought the glow plug system on the cucv was 24v ?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif my m1008 was usmc , one thosevin number things said it was a mail truck. it has a weird flat bracket on the pass side floor board. thw odo shows 11k miles and the rest of the truck looks lke it , almost new.thr door jamb tag says it was built in 83 .on another note a guy from work said he might be getting a diesel sub sometime and i might be able to snag the motor. how many mistakes are there in this post? i typed it without my glasses /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

CUCVsglow plugs took 24V power then reduced it to 12V with ballast resistors. 'Wasn't a real good system as the loss of one GP caused an increase in voltage to the other seven (then they died). The flat bracket on the floor was for the Chemical agent detector. DOD may have started procurement in '83 (note AFAIK in previous post). I've never seen anything earlier than '84, and the only reason I remember that is they still used a rope rear main back then /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Who knows what the USMC did, you boys got some weird stuff over their. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

hey ive never been in the service ...yet... anyways i got an email back from them and they said that they have 1 under 10k ambulance 6.2 for $2600 .they also say that they fire them up before shipping them . it is at a surplus place . should i make a lower offer or what ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

A used 6.2L with less than 10k miles? I dunno. The last 6.2L was manufactured in 1993. You do the math.

Have you checked with The Diesel Depot? They have guaranteed used engines, though they have a 100K. I've met the owners personally, and I know you'd be getting a great engine.

I wouldn't pay that much for a used engine. I had less than $2500 in my 6.2L that I bought from a junkyard, and totally rebuilt.

Casey

12. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just for reference, I just bought a complete m1009 with 23K miles for $623. The price they are asking is extremely high if you ask me. Just my $.02

Mike

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I've heard the NV242 is quite a nice unit.... It should be a full-time t-case that has true part-time and 2wd operation as well.

Does that sound right?

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

well how much does the diesel depot ones go for ? id still need all the accessories right ? maybe ill give them a call ...

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I can believe 10K miles on a old CUCV motor But 10K ARMY miles is not like 10K on your wife's civic /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep this in mind; every driver doesn't "own" it and (many)treats as such, some Army vehicles never see a paved road, and the ones that do get pushed at 65+MPH with 4.56 gears /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    say "front & rear main seal leak"
    PS the NP218 and the NV242 are both full-time 4x4 (similiar to the old NP203). With 4HI, 4HI Lock, & 4Low Lock (no 2wd).

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i completely understand the not owning it thing , the border patrol brings us their junk to fix all the time .and our employees do it to the shop trucks ... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif