Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wouldn't start up again......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mreetz, May 30, 2003.

1. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Wouldn\'t start up again......

Stopped off at the store on my way home last night and Blazer wouldn't start up again when I went to leave. It's an '84 4-speed. I'm thinkin its the safety switch on the clutch. I'm not sure where that part is tho. I have power, everything works when I turn the key, except when I go to start it. I'll check the battery on my way home tonight, check the starter with a bypass too. Anyone know where that switch on the clutch is?

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Wouldn\'t start up again......

Uhhhh I have stripped a clutch assembly out of a 77 and there was no switch on it. Maybe added in the 80's. If it was it would have to be up near the steering coluum near the pivot. No place else to put one.

Go try it now that it's cooled down. Might be starter heat soak issue. Basicly the starter gets hot from the exhaust and fails to function, usualy a solonoid problem.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Yea, I was thinkin that too. I'll try startin it up first, then check the selenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

make sure all your electrical connnects are tight, this happend to me, pissed me off, bought a new alternator, same crap, cept the new alternator charges good /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. loose wire on the starter, the big one comeing from the battery. 16mm wrench got that thing tight, then i was on my way to home depot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Battery ckd, full charg. Ckd connections, good. Still no start. Bypass ignition went right off starter, started up first time!! Must be that safety switch on the clutch.

Happy Friday!!

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

that switch is towards the top of the clutch pedal... take the connector off and bridge between the two terminals with a piece of wire... voila no more switch to screw up, and you can start it without the clutch applied...