Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WOW a 14bff is HEAVY!!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by txtough, Oct 20, 2003.

1. txtough

txtough Registered Member

Installed my 14 bolt in the surb this weekend I can't believe how heavy that axle is.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No argument here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I totally agree with you on that one.....i'm getting tired of moving mine around in my dads barn /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't believe how heavy that axle is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger that!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I installed mine a few weeks ago and I wheeled in almost all the way underneath my Burb. I only had to slide it on the ground about 12" to get it lined up. It is a heavy pig for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

That ain't no joke. Note to self, when moving 14 bolt, DO NOT drop on foot. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Lightwieght, Try a D70hd off a dually, sheeesh /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

yep.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifThe only way I could get mine outta the back of my truck was to add wheels and tires to it and that only made it heavier... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

D60s aren't exactly a walk in the park either!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Hernias and 1-Tons go together.

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Note to self, when moving 14 bolt, DO NOT drop on foot. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding!! When I was getting my D60 ready to install, I had it balanced on two jacks to move it. The axle dropped about 12 inches onto my right foot and bounced off. I din't really think anything about it. Later that evening when I was taking my shoes off, I noticed the leather on my work shoes had been puntured and ripped down to the steel toe. A section about 1.5x2 was ready to rip off. At that point I was extremely greatfull I was wearing my steel toe shoes. Since then, I make a point to wear them when working on any vehicles.

11. txtough

txtough Registered Member

Yeah the front end is coming this weekend (Sunday). I was sore for 2 days after all the wrestling from the 14bff. I have to say all the stuff from ORD has fit great and I am very pleased. I have two questions that have come from this job.
    1. Has anyone ever used a smaller K5 fuel tank and does it increase your departure angle?

2. I am installing dual pumps in the tank so I will have an emergency backup at the flip of a switch, Has anyone else done this?

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That ain't no joke. Note to self, when moving 14 bolt, DO NOT drop on foot.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats a big 10-4, chevy4wd dropped one on his foot the other day when we were moving it to the trailer to haul it to his place...he had sandals on lol it barely caught his small toe though, musta been sharp too because it cut him LMAO... can y'all see two guys weighing in at 350lbs between the 2 of them moving a 14bff?

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

heh..never moved one.. ive only worked with 10 bolts..and even from not working with bigger axles i can say the 10 bolts are pretty light..(kinda scary!!)..and im not big guy..im 5'8 and 130 lbs.

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Doing that kind of stuff with sandals is stupid IMO....

15. Confedneck

10 bolts arent too bad, rears anyways, when you get into having knuckles and tie rods and hubs, calipers etc on a front, they get a little heftier..although an EMPTY 10/12 bolt rear housing is light as hell..perfect for ballast weight behind the wheel tubs in a k10..

sub-we all know working in sandals isnt a good idea, i told him to at least put shoes on, oh well not my toe..btw i do everything outside of work in sandals, 98% of the time..i might learn my lesson one of these days

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got the perfect method figured out for moving heavy axles around...that is, if you have a plow. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Last night I moved the 10 bolts I took out from the end of my driveway to the back of my yard. Just chained them up to the plow lift, lifted them up about a foot, drove to the back of my yard, and set them down. Worked even better than I had imagined. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

wait untill you pick up a complete front dana 60

18. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ive got yall beat. we used forklifts when installing my lift and axles and the 454 in the truck once it was lifted. by far the easiest method to date /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

NITRO

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Well I use my boots 24 hours a day, problems can come from that too....

20. Confedneck

we used a front end loader to swap the front end in chevy4wds truck..