Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WOW almost had to put it 4wd to get to work!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

We don't get much in the form of winter weather here in the Atlanta area and we were caught totaly off guard by some snow last night. You northern folks would laugh at what we got but everything north of Atlanta ia pretty well shut down. I have to run 18 miles of I75 north of Atlanta to get to work up here in Cartersville. 16 miles of that the left lane was glare ice and was getting worse the farther north I drove. The main road from my hood to I 75 had busted tail lights about ever 300-400 feet from all the wrecks this morning. You could see where all the cars had spun off the road all the way to work. The off ramp had a Ford in the ditch onto of a twin post street sign. Semi was stuck on the ramp and count' get traction even with the wheels coupled. Listend to the CB on the way in and the truckers werre saying it was real bad north of where I work.
    Wind chils near 0 this morning and supose to be worse tomorrow. They say the low will be about 9 deg F where I live tomorrow morning. Schools closed today and they may be close tomorrow because of the temps and wind chills. Started my day by having to air up the tires on old Dollar, Cardbording the grills of both K5's in case my wife needs to go somewhere. Hit the parts stroe and bought 5 bottle of line dry and I hope to god the wife's 79 has not froze the lines. I dumped the stuff in but didn't start it. Had to fill the tank. My tranny temp gage with alost the whole grill blocked never even registered (it reads down to 140). Engine temp never even came close to the first mark! MAN I HATE COLD!
    Got to work and none of the sales people have made it here. They almost all live north of here in Rome GA. It's worse that way and a 20 mile strech of 4 lane between us that people say still has not had a spreader run over it. Customer here said it took almost an hour to get there and he only lives about 10 miles away. Just me and the boss are the only ones here and had about 4 customers all morning. All customers that didn't pay their bills and their Cell phones were cut off yesterday LOL.
    Cool thing is as long as I stay here 4 hours that I get paid for the whole day. I plan on leaving at 4pm if we stay open that long. Nobody to run the place so the boss may just lock up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Meanwhile it's 49 degrees and sunny here at 9:30 AM. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

High 40's here with a bit of rain.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If it gets any colder I might have to find a coat or something for outside/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Very bizarre for Atlanta. Sounds like what would happen here if Los Angeles ever got snow. Course, we have what you describe if it rains for more than an hour.

Hope you get a half day off!

Thankfully temps have dropped here from the 80's to the 70's, well at least til this weekend (back up to the 80's).

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 54 degrees at 8:30 in the morning here, only supposed to get to 64 today. Brrr! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Rain? I seem to recall some of the details of that stuff. I think Phoenix has had more of it in the last year than Colorado has. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif All the lakes and resevoirs here are empty or near empty. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Looks like we're in for a long, dry summer. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's been much drier than average the last year or so...but we seem to be getting nack to normal now. At least it's not too cold and I don't have to shovel it./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

rene

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Man, it hasn't gotten out of the 20's for the last week here and hasn't been above freezing for a couple of weeks.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, right now in Madison, it's -3 degrees. With the wind factored in, it's -23 degrees /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Those numbers come straight from www.weather.com
    So, feel the need for a jacket now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm sure it's just a terrible experience driving in the South when it snows...with all those people not knowing how to handle their cars. But, what bothers me is how, for the first few snow-storms up in the North here, it's as if people have never driven on snow before. I don't know what it is, but there are numerous accidents during the first few snowstorms, then people must get used to driving in it and the accident totals go down. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

25 here in Dallas but we need it to kill the bugs

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Bugs /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What are those? Those have been extinct from the North for a few months now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif We must have sent some your way.

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Low 40's and rainy here. Real weird for Idaho.

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Don't like cold temps either,but,my biggest gripe is all the SUV owners who never wheel them any other time.When they lock it in and it goes when they gas it they don't think bout stopping.I run back roads most of time anyway and in snow last week I met a Yukon on one who had to be going at least 50.Thats faster than I run on these roads when dry most of time.Started to turn around to see if he made curve 1/2 mile ahead of him,but,didn't.When I did return home bout hour later he was still stuck,sitting crossways with rear wheels in ditch and front in road.Couldn't understand why it didn't stop as well as it would take off.Was going to pull him back onto road,as he wasn't really stuck.he wouldn't hook strap to his own truck because I wouldn't be responsible for any damage on his then.I could have driven it out,but,was afraid to offer.He was mad cause wrecker was taking so long.He wanted my insurance carrier in case I damaged his truck pulling it out. Needless to say I drove off with him still in ditch.He had full tank of gas when I was there so when I came back by bout 4 hours later I didn't even stop.By then he had churned ditch into mud and had two tire size spots dry under front tires.Hated to leave someone stranded,Especally since minor tug on strap would have gotten him out.His stuck started bout 9 am and ended bout 5 pm.I was not willing to take chance on what he would say I tore up pulling him out.You just can't help some people any more.I did help couple of cars over hill on way to town and pulled out 2WD pickup. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer on 38s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I hear you on that one. When people want insurance info before you HELP them out, it's time to leave. Some people /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Well it snowed here last night too.{Lawrenceburg,TENN}.Enjoy talk to y'all,but it's time to go hunt roads with no tracks.Easy trails get fun with a little snow.Going out to play. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

The high here in Ohio is 9, the low will be anywhere between 5 and -5! We've had 12 consecutive days where the high was under freezing! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Currently -9 degrees here. No biggie. Pleanty of snow on the ground. No need to put it in High lock yet, I just leave the 203 in high. Mostly been driving the 98 Dodge Stratus, it been geting around just fine. I'm waitinng for some good snow to bring the K5 out to play. [​IMG]

19. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, well you see, that's where Wisconsin is lacking right now, BIG TIME. It may be -3 degrees out, and it's been well below freezing for the past two weeks or so, BUT we currently have NO snow. Not even a trace, NOTHING. That really sucks because if it's going to be as freaking cold as it is, I want FEET of snow. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You can have that cold mess, I think it's going to be in the 70s here today.