Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wow Chevy 10 bolt Fix's itself !!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Jan 13, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Wow Chevy 10 bolt Fix\'s itself !!!

I found a 12 bolt from a 77 K5 at a junk yard near my house and im getting it for 175 not sure on ratio yet. they said it would prob be a 3 08 and i need a 3 73 ratio so the front and rear match. I have a 1989 K1500 Chevy Truck and the 10 bolt is going out for the last time on my truck. It got a new ring and pinion 2 yrs ago, a new locker last year and now somethings going out agin. So i am upgrading to something stronger i hope. Any info on the 77 12 bolt would be nice b/c hopefully it will bolt right up but i dont know. Thanks for any help! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Re: Any Info on a 77 K5 12 bolt would be nice!

i have a 79 12 bolt 6 lug in the back of my 87, yea damn 10 bolt, it blew, nice axle 8 7\8 ring gear, stronger then the 8 1\2 10 bolt one, the brakes from your 10 bolt will bolt onto the 12 bolt, the spring pads should be in the same spots, also the shock mounts should be alright, mine were, other then that, i like it, and it gives me more confidence in it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you want to retain your 6 lug then I would be looking for a 14BSF rear, much stronger than a 10 or 12 bolt and still a direct bolt-in. $175.00 seems to be alot for a 12 bolt axle also.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

dont take their word for it on the 3.08 my 77 had 3.73, as for "Upgrading" to a 12 bolt, i have had both a 10 bolt and a 12 bolt they both broke. your not really upgrading, get a 14sf like said before, or go all 8 lug with the 14ff. you can find a 14ff for 250 or less, around here atleast.

5. 89K1500Chevy

well [censored] I found out i can only use 88- up axles cuz i have an 89 K1500 truck and a 95 K2500 14 bolt SF with 6 lug and a 3 73 ratio will be 1200 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif DAMN well that might be a while but mabey ill find a bag of money just laying around my house somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but probley not /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well first off the only reason you wouldn't be able to use a 12 bolt is if you have ABS and the tone ring is in the axle but I think the year you have uses the pullse from the Speedo sensor for both the ABS and the computer.
    As far as mounts. Spring purches are like $25 from Jegs. You can cut the shock mounts off your 10 bolt and reuse them.
    Hit the junk yard off off Morland. You can find a 12 there cheaper then $100. Look in the glove box of the trucks fron 81 down. If it is naything other than 3.08 the glove box door will have it listed. You may even score a 14 SF 6 lug over there for the same price. I may be going and picking up a 14 FF for under $100 this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

12 BOLTS ARE JUNK /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

I have one, and beg to differ.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Thanks for that useful post, as well as all of those facts to back it up. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Even 10 bolts are fine for some people's purposes and 12 bolts are marginally better than those. You can't expect it to hold up to serious abuse and big tires but that doesn't neccessarily make them junk, just unsuitable for certain applications. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

10. Silver84k5

very true. for most wheeling you need something bigger (i feel this topic has been beat to death) But people like drag racers, mild offroaders, and pavement pounders with a semi light foot 12 bolts are fine. as for 87sm465........ i cant wait till you bust that thing and you change your mind.

11. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

Sorry to offend anyone but 12 bolts( everyone that I broke) has made me very frusterated, do it right the first time and get a 14bff, but if your only doing very light wheeling I guess the 12 is sufficiant, it just sucks to drive 150miles to a wheeling spot and then have to get towed home becuase you were'nt easy on the gas /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. Silver84k5

I broke my 12 bolt on the street. Im not saying they wont last Im just saying i dont look at it like an upgrade from a ten bolt.

13. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a 12B from a 78 in my 89...the weak links are...Carrier (Gov Locs are POS)...Pinion bearing (10B pinion bearings are larger and will interchange)...tapered axles (replace with Moser 1340H Molys)....C clip axles seldom if ever fail at the C clip.....I agree that a stock swap with a 10B is marginal, but if you upgrade to an aftermarket carrier (Eaton, TruTrac, etc), swap in the 10B pinion bearing and add the Molys, you have a very useful axle without the added weight and clearance of a 14B...just another opinion...most people in here will tell you to go 14FF with a D60 front....

14. 89K1500Chevy

Yippy Ki Yai Well i jumped the gun due to the fact of the 10 bolt failin in the past /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But I took off the cover the ring and pinion is fine and Auburn Gear Limited/Posi Lock is fine. So i start tracing from Yoke to U joints and bingo the Damn U joints are startin to crack and when the 33's are on the ground the torque is twistin the u joints and making them Pop Both of them. But I salute them for 13 great years of ABUSE from Burning Off All terrains and Throwing Rooster tails with the Mud Terrains. I was at quality off roberts road and Oscar said i could get a 94 14 bolt SF with 6 lug and 3 73 for prob 400 to 500 dollars. But lucky that upgrade can now Wait I have got some Brute Force U joints they are Sealed for life and were 13 bucks a piece and i will be changing the dope on the front differential at same time. I also was told that from 97 up even the 2 wheel drives have a 6 lug pattern and some guy with a 99 Z71 put one in his truck and it worked. I Dont know if thats true but thats what i was told. Thanks for all the help on the axles I will some time in the near future Upgrade because i think even though Im a AAA plus memeber and its free towing i have used them so much they might get mad if it continues to Break down. lol Mostly to my house cuz i do most of the work on the truck myself but some stuff i cant do till i get a shop in the back yard. And one day once all the orginal parts have finished breaking and only heavy duty parts are left i wont need AAA for my truck hopefully /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow! 13 years on a set of U-joints? That's pretty amazing! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif My record is breaking 13 U-joints in a single year. (Even managed to split the pinion yoke completely in half at the same time one of them broke) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Busted the ring gear on 3 different 12-bolts in 3 years with that same truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Glad to hear that you have a cheap fix! That's always a nice surprise.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

They changed to all 6 lug in the 99 model year, not 97. Some of the Z71s also had the 6 lug 14sf axle. I believe (not totally sure, so dont take my word for it) the two ratios available were 3.42 and 3.73.

17. Silver84k5

What do you mean Breaking at the C-clip Is seldom? as in the splines that go into the axle gear rarely break? or the C-clip itself breaks? when my 10 bolt broke, it twisted the splines right off..... im not disagreeing im just trying to understand what you mean by breaking at the C-clip.

18. 89K1500Chevy

Well today i will be replacing the U joints and changing the front end dope and changing the oil and adding ATF to the Transfer case. Then i will be rolling around right agin hopefully for long time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net Got Stuck lately?

19. 89K1500Chevy

Re: Info on a Rear End Swap Years. 67-87 and 88-99. NEED 14 sf 6 lug 3 73

Well Well Well the U joints were bad but the Rear end is still going out! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif The tires can slide in and out not up and down so i know the seals are good and from the yoke to the wheels there is some play. Anyway looks like i will be upgrading to a 94 14 bolt sf 6 lug 3 73 i hope i can talk the price down to around 400 -500 then cuz i can get 125 for the stock wheels and 33 allterrains. Then i Still have the stock hood in good shape so i wonder what i can get that for Does anybody Know or have had to buy another hood? Thanks for helping me out on here. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

20. Silver84k5

Re: Info on a Rear End Swap Years. 67-87 and 88-99. NEED 14 sf 6 lug 3 73

Do you have nickle adds around there? or Classified ads in the newspaper of people parting out rigs? around here there is truck trader, nickel ads, and the newspaper classified adds, and people always have adds in there of people parting out their rigs. im sure you can find an axle for cheap if yuo search.