Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wow...emissions crap removal advice needed...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75k5, Apr 26, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Anybody just jusnked all the crap off? I am getting dizzy while looking under the hood, I have no emmisions to worry about on the 86 sooo?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

AIR is the main culprit to all the hoses. I'd start there, and then see what it looks like.

Is this a CCC or non-CCC truck?

Personally I'd leave EGR and EVAP alone, both hurt nothing, only help, and are fairly simple.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's a CCC truck like mine than there isn't much you can do with that except swap in a non computer carb and regualr 70's style vaccuum advance HEI dist. like I did. There are a lot of hoses in there to deal with and some of them can be removed and some can't, just depends. When I first got my 406 in people always wanted to see it but I said "It is known to exist but never seen through all the black speggetti." /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. supersize75k5

what is ccc /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    what is ccc /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    It would be the devil.....computer controlled carburetor. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It sucks. Some people will tell you that they aren't all that bad but I have played with two trucks equipped with it. Mine and hipinion's 85K5. It is hard to even adjust the F'n idle on them because it has a big idle selonoid or something right in the way and the idle and metering rods are controlled by the computer. It is hard to custom tune because the (I think) idle fuel controls are plugged off so they can't be tampered with.

The main reason why I don't like it is because.....
    1. You lose the easy to tune, easy to adapt to different motors or motor mods that is associated with most carbs...because it is computer controlled and almost as sensative to "mods" as TBI.
    2. Even though it is computer controlled you still don't get the added benifet of FI features that help it run better, get better MPG, cold starting, altitude adj., ect...because it is still a carb.

You get the drawbacks of both a carb and FI and the benifets of none. IMHO.:p

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Buy some hoses and such and come over Wednesday and I'll help you clean it up. I wanted to remove mine at one time, just left what I needed to pass emissions . Personally if its a driver and trail rig I wouldn't bother with removing it all........................... Most chicks are too short to see it pretty in there with the hood up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [It is hard to custom tune because the (I think) idle fuel controls are plugged off so they can't be tampered with.

[/ QUOTE ]

All 80s carbs have plugs in the idle mixture screw holes as they don't want you adjusting any of them for emissions purposes.

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Don't throw anything away if you pull the emissions equipment off. Put it in a box and store it just in case they change the inspection laws in your area. You never know what the future holds and some of that stuff is expensive.

9. pauly383

Yup, laws could change, save it all. Apache Junction needs emissions now. Maricopa will someday too. Too many new homes going up, laws will be changed . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You could make some unexpected changes by removing stuff. The easiest thing is to keep everything that works and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. If you're jetted for EGR and you remove EGR, then you have to make carb mods, for example.

If you really want to remove it, do it step by step so you know what is causing any changes you see.

Smog devices get a lot of blame for hurting performance, but most of the stuff under the hood you can yank off won't gain you much. What you really need is good exhaust, some headers or good manifolds (anything is better than the log-style A.I.R. ones) and a good air intake. After that, the thing that is making your engine feel like a "smogged" engine is the crappy heads. It wasn't EGR and A.I.R. that brought performance down, it was lower compression and restrictive heads. A.I.R robs about 2hp max I'm told. You can gain more than by changing fans, or even putting in new spark plugs, for that matter.

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

You may want to hold on to that caca, I just got cited ($300.00 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif )in California for not having it and my vehicle is exempt, 1972 blazer. See my post under the first gen message board.EPA citation. i think i found a loop hole

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gifAcording to the EPA it's a federal offence to tamper with emission equipment. if it came with it, it has to stay. Recently the EPA made a studdy and found that 474 counties around the country were not compliant with thier air quality standards. Here's the news...

ARQ.

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One thing you are going to have to deal with is the transmission. If it is a computer-controlled transmission, then taking all the computer stuff off will make it shift really funny. There are two things you can do (1) buy an old Turbo 400 or 350, (2) buy an aftermarket transmission control module, which does not need the main GM OEM computer to function.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The best I can figure, the only trucks that CCC was used on were California models. It was used on a lot of cars, though.

14. supersize75k5

thanks again guys, I had major vacume leaks and the vacume gage was reading just under five at idle /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Now I replaced some hose and eliminated some off the air cleaner and she perked up to over 20 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Also I removed the cat off the truck and stuck the air intake tube flap in the open position for good. The truck is alive now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just need to tackle some of those exaust leaks...but at leat I can hear the 40 series flowmaster now /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I decided not to remove anything, just keep it there. I kind of like having a 305 as it wont get me tickets or to much attention. I might leave the paint alone for the same reason /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

seems I am growing up some.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

-shawn

15. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing you are going to have to deal with is the transmission. If it is a computer-controlled transmission, then taking all the computer stuff off will make it shift really funny. There are two things you can do (1) buy an old Turbo 400 or 350, (2) buy an aftermarket transmission control module, which does not need the main GM OEM computer to function.

[/ QUOTE ]

sm465 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    I kind of like having a 305 as it wont get me tickets or to much attention. I might leave the paint alone for the same reason

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats only a 305, our trucks really are close to each other . It ain't all that bad, transfercase gearing makes up for it, and you have 8 lugs on the 86 with lower gears, right? I only removed the EFE and all the ported vacuum switches, still passes emissions. I will have a 350 ready sometime, but wanted to wait until 305 smokes/runs bad, but I can't seem to kill it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    He has a 465. WIth mine when I removed my computer stuff it didn't effect the tranny because it is a th700R4. You are thinking of a 4L60 or 80 that is fully computer controlled. A th700 is functions just like a th350 or 400 except that a th700 has a lock up converter, which late model th350's did also anyway. When you disconnect the CCC stuff or even TBI all you lose is lock up which is a simple fix to wire it up manually. Shifting is still controlled by the servo.

18. supersize75k5

yup just a 305, it had one originally then a 350 then he needed a motor real bad, 305 was all he could find in dealerships on a saterday /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Works for me though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Works for me though

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I am hard pressed to tell I am missing 45 cubes (78 if I had my favorite) , it is just a bit slow off the line in town or over REAL steep grade in 2wd, but thats gearing (3.08's and 33's) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. rjfguitar

I have 101 more cubic inches than you guys. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I can go fast in a hurry and pull a lot of weight but for daily driving fuel gets expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I bet you 2 get a lot better mileage than I do. It is fun ruining a little Asian dude's day in his way cool Honda though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif