Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wow i'm sick of this P.O.S.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad andy, Apr 30, 2003.

1. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

wow i\'m sick of this P.O.S.

i'm so sick of everything on my truck breaking. tailgate is fncked up, passenger window is soooo slow, and today after school i hopped in my truck AND THE IGNITION WOULDN'T TURN AT ALL!!! went home got the spare key it wouldn't work either. WTF!!!! i don't even think my 4wd works ne more, how can i find where the problem is with the 4wd? i'm close to selling the damn rust bucket, i've had so many problems with it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: wow i\'m sick of this P.O.S.

So "yea i go mudding a lot , i got it stuck up to the doors a week after i got it"

and

"i'm close to selling the damn rust bucket, i've had so many problems with it"

Somehow doesn't make a light go off in your head? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but come on. You beat an 18 year old truck up (that was given to you!), and complain about problems? You reap what you sow man. I get awfully attached to my vehicles, so to blame a vehicle for breaking after (apparently) 18 hard years isn't fair at all, it certainly isn't the vehicles fault!

Go buy a new truck and treat it the same way and see how far it gets you. Beating trucks up is an expensive hobby, and unless you've got enough money to buy a new rig every couple of years after you've had your fun, get used to crap breaking, and fixing, yours.

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

sounds like the first thing you need to do is get it to start and not worry about the four wheel drive . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i don't beat this truck up at all!!! its not like i blast through mudholes and rough roads, i know its an old truck and can't take a lot of abuse, but damn. i really should have looked around before buying this truck, i feel like the owner sold for reasons besides "taking up space in the driveway", or maybe thats just it maybe he got fed up with fixing stuff too and decided to get rid of it like i wanna do. the engine is burning oil too, i noticed piles of black liquidy sh!t comin out of the exhaust pipes so i can tell it could benefit from a rebuild. i love this truck i really do, but i feel like it hates me

5. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

and i don't even go wheeling that often FYI, i've been 5 times since i got it in november, thats 1 time a month

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

did you get it to start yet?

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    did you get it to start yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.... did ya get it started? I have been in your shoes... when i was 17 is when i started driving my truck... well the truck has sat since 1997 and i will give rough estimates on what i have gone through......

18 master cylinders
    15 starters
    10 alternators
    6 water pumps
    5 radiators ( my current 4 core has more holes than swiss cheese )

also have replaced ALL body parts 3 times.....

oh about the mud.... yeah i did it... and will again ... first thing i do when i get it back on the road is swamp it......

I have about $8k into this P.O.S. but i love it.. my wife doesnt understand why......

I am going to drop like another $5k soon....

d60 front, detroit
    detroit for rear with disk breaks
    vortec heads, intake and carb
    new 40" hawgs
    beadlocks
    xover steering
    hydraulic clutch ( dunno yet )
    mile marker hydraulic 12,000lb winch for front
    ramsey electric winch in back
    dual batteries
    doors
    paintjob

so that isnt even my full list... this is an expensive hobbie..... oh well..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

well i'm probly overreacting about the situation a little bit, but i really hope these kind of problems don't keep coming up. my dad is gonna call his friend from the gm dealer to send somebody out and i guess replace the whole ignition, it must be worn out i really don't know. i never realize how much/fast parts will wear out, my parents never had ne problems with their new gm's. Also, i should have mentioned this earlier but after one wheeling trip a couple months ago i was driving back to my friend's house goin about 25, just went over a speed bump and then it felt like the front axle binded up, there were 3 loud clunks accompanied by harsh jolts, i pulled over immediatly everything looked fine, it never did that again. could this having something to do with the 4wd problem? thanks for all your help guys

9. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

hey k5dan, where did u get that bumper on the back of your k5? thats a smittybilt right? i've been thinkin of gettin one but not sure where to order

10. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well the truck has sat since 1997 and i will give rough estimates on what i have gone through......

18 master cylinders
    15 starters
    10 alternators
    6 water pumps

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow....that is alot of parts for sitting since '97 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My truck was out to get me (and succeeded) for over a year. Stick it out, eventually you'll conquer it and know more about every little thing in your truck than most people ever would about their vehicles in the process. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The "key won't turn" problem is pretty easy to fix. The lock cylinder needs to be replaced. The part costs about $17 at the local parts store (or you can probably also get one for $75 at the Chevy dealer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ).

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    well the truck has sat since 1997 and i will give rough estimates on what i have gone through......

18 master cylinders
    15 starters
    10 alternators
    6 water pumps

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow....that is alot of parts for sitting since '97 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

actually what i meant was that that is what went bad in 6 years until the truck came off the road in 1997.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Badandy it sucks when things go wrong. It seems to happen and the worst possible times. Like it or not something is going to break and for that matter the older the vehicle the more often it has a chance to do so. Comparing a 18 year old vehicle against Mom and Dad's new GM's is like comparing apples to oranges.

The problem is further compounded if the truck sat for and extended length of time. Your going to have to face reality that stuff breaks and its going to need fixed. Keep in mind that it sounds like you got it lucky that your Dad has a connection to a dealer to fix it for you. Most dont. Its probably a ignition lock cylinder thats stuck, a socket, screwdriver, Steering Wheel puller and a lock plate compressor and about an hour should take care of it.

Thats my opinion for whatever its worth. I'm a poor warped slop that actually would rather to drive an older vehicle than new. Including the little stuff that breaks and the repairs. But hey I like roaming junkyards for parts too....Like I said, warped.

15. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

ha ha you sound like me when i get po'd. but guess what you can fix so many things before it finally gets to running right then all will be ok in your 4x4 world /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I don't know about yours, but my brothers is 24 years old (79), and hardly anything has gone wrong with it in the almost 2 years we have had it. Maybe yours is a lemon, or maybe the guy ripped you off. Just stick with it and it will run perfectly after you get everything worked out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Harrison

17. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

thanks for your advice, i guess since 3 parts have broken in the past 2 weeks, maybe nothing else will break for a while heh.

18. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

hey i know what you are going through. i have a 75 that needs a new tranny i think but i am not to sure because it goes in to gear when it wants.and now my t-case is fawking up. i just had to put in a new ignition switch in it. before i didn't need a key, and then it started locking up on me so i had to get a new one because i didn't have a key for the old one. so anyway i just thought i would let you know that you are not alone.

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have also wanted to push my truck off a cliff several times, but fortunately self-control (i.e. Dad) stops me every time. I have more rust than sheet metal, and my tranny is going down the tubes as well. Sometimes it's a PITA to have a 25+ year old truck, but other days I get in it and think "damn, there's nothing else I'd rather be driving." Stick it out and you'll love yourself for it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

eventually, my truck will dominate all.... i just need some money first /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif