Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wow, so this is what cranking speed is like

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Jun 14, 2005.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

New 1000CCA battery's, all new 1 gauge cables, new terminals and connections, and of course a 28MT starter, and it actually starts without needing the glow plugs. Until today I didnt even think that was possible.

I had done the battery's and cables last week, but because of my other project sucking down all my time, i never got arround to installing the new starter, until yesterday when heat soake caused mine to give up the ghost when i was 25 miles away from home. Luckily i got it started with WD-40, a powerstroke, and a 5th exide orbital battery. Unfortunately it fried the starter for good, but at least i got it home.

All i have to say about the 28MT is WOW. I cant believe how fast it spins this motor over. Thank you CK5, because if i had never read about it here, i would have put a stock replacement in and spent more money doing it. I picked mine up brand new off ebay for $90 (not a bosch, though), which was $150 less than what autozone wanted for a remanunfactured duralast.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Freaky how much more cranking speed the 28MT provides isn't it? :) Probably the best thing i ever did to my 6.2 so far.

Rene

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yes it is, im amazed.

Honestly after putting some mall terrains on it for street driving, and now having it actually start when i want it to, it almost feels like im only driving a 100K mile truck :D

4. tRustyK5

I can rememeber needing 4-6 seconds of glow time even when the motor was at operating temp, now I only use the GP's when it's dead cold, if the motor is even somewhat warm it'll flash up in less than 2 seconds with no GP's.

Rene

5. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

This sounds good. where can i get this starter?? thx

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My truck will start up with out glow plugs after sitting for 4 hours on a 70 degree day, also with in 2 seconds or so, with the stock starter and a single battery. I just used good quality 2 guage battery cables and a 6 ga cable between the battery and glowplug relay for the cold mornings...

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ebay is full of them. Anywhere from $99 to $135 right now... just don't bid against me on the $99 one ending in 2 days :grin: my id on there is CK6066.

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

9. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

thanks joez

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So can I get them in a 24/28V version? :haha:

-- A

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Cool deal. I'm kinda feeling out the starter thing, to find the best price vs. longetivety (sp?).

You should have seen me running around the truck looking for my hammer, at the boat dock on a small lake, to beat the crap out of my Autozone starter that wouldn't stop :haha:

12. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Do you need an adapter to put one of these on a 6.2 from other years?
    Every time I've researched it they never list the older 6.2 engines. Mines an 85. Thanks

13. tRustyK5

My 6.2 is an '85 as well. The 28 MT bolts right up, but you will need a new support bracket. I'd guess the dealer or a parts truck would be best to find the little bracket.

Rene

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Or, you can do like me and cut and re-drill the old bracket instead of buying a new one.

Other than that they just bolt right up, and getting the 28mt in is a easier than getting the OEM starter out.

15. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between this 28MT and the stock starter? Is the 28MT just the starter spec'd for the later GM diesels?

Could my stock 1990 Burb 6.2 have this starter already?

Thanks!
    Richard

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup..

From what I've read,they are a gear reduction style starter rather than a "straight" direct drive style one...not sure if the motor itself is a permanent magnet design or not--I'm thinking it is,but I havent seen one other than in pictures online...My "old" style starter seems to work good,cranking speed is not a problem(maybe my diesel has low compression!)..I had to replace the starter drive bendix on it when I first bought the truck,it would not stay engaged long enough to fire up the motor( I think the previous owner used starting fluid and the kickback ruined the starter drive bendix)...cost 35 bucks for a rebuilt starter drive,and only NAPA could get it!--all the other stores wanted 70 bucks for a new one,special order--a local dealer wanted 110 bucks! :eek: :yikes: ...

I'll be getting the "new" style starter if mine croaks again--but mine was an AC/Delco rebuilt,and looked new inside!--guess they cheated and re-used the old starter drive--its gears were pretty worn too...but I think it will last a long time now-(I HOPE!)... :crazy: